real time web analytics
General - - Box freestone quarry | Mines and Quarries | Page 8 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Box freestone quarry

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Yes
And suspicion isnt enough to be arrested or to give out your details
It can be daunting standing your ground,but in my experience it works

You obviously havnent had quite the life i have,suspicion of can get you taken for questioning,i know this ive been arrested a lot prior to my exploring days and a few close calls while exploring

boomtown1

Banned
Banned
If anybody is in any doubt about why boomtown is here, just read the whole thread. Hes a troll from dark places and has admitted himself (in this thread) that hes only here to try and wind people up. Good luck trusting information from a guy like that. Also if you bother to look on dark places wiki it quite clearly states that there is no access to Box and all the entrances have been sealed up and are monitored.
You silly sausage
I havent given out any info,ive simply stated you can get into box
And as for the dp wiki please !
@Matt3579

We're not being dicks we're simply trying to tell you what the score is with Box at the moment. Anyway, listen to boomtown if you like and see where it gets you.
It will get you in !

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
And suspicion isnt enough to be arrested or to give out your details
It can be daunting standing your ground,but in my experience it works

Hmm, your very limited experience it would seem. As has been said -

Your ignorance is astonishing.

Went for a meeting once for a potential outside-catering job at a barracks. It was broad daylight on an inner-city street. Got out the car a bit down the road and had a camera hanging off my neck. I pointed it through the fence at the parade ground where I’d be catering. Before I’d made it all the way to the gate I had a gun at the back of my head and was questioned by MOD Police on suspicion of terrorism…..and this was the Royal Military School of Music. If the MOD Police suspect you of terrorism you will be giving your details before they let you walk away. Come back with your opinion when you’ve met them chum.

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
The mod plod wont lock you for a night they dont have that power and as I've stated phoning it in would be the last thing I'd consider doing but thanks so much for all your help rather than give advice you've all basically just been dicks unnecessarily

I'm actually gonna give you the advice you need.. It's all available with a very quick google/search of the forums but as you don't seem capable of that..

The surveys are only available directly from Shepton Mallet Caving Club. Don't go with anything else, the route description is more useful than the actual survey for your first trips.

See https://www.shepton.org.uk/publications/sales/box-monkton-farleigh-and-swan-mine-surveys

As has been discussed access to Box is not what it has been previously and it will take some legwork to see what's open when. Nobody will post that information on a public forum for obvious reasons.

Don't go alone, and tell a reliable person where you are going and when you expect to be out. Tell them that if they do not hear from you by the specified time they should call Wiltshire police and request cave rescue.

Take two sources of light, a survey, a compass and enough food and water to survive until rescue happens if something does go wrong.

boomtown1

Banned
Banned
Hmm, your very limited experience it would seem. As has been said -

Went for a meeting once for a potential outside-catering job at a barracks. It was broad daylight on an inner-city street. Got out the car a bit down the road and had a camera hanging off my neck. I pointed it through the fence at the parade ground where I’d be catering. Before I’d made it all the way to the gate I had a gun at the back of my head and was questioned by MOD Police on suspicion of terrorism…..and this was the Royal Military School of Music. If the MOD Police suspect you of terrorism you will be giving your details before they let you walk away. Come back with your opinion when you’ve met them chum.
Well I'm back,I actually met them a few weeks ago at sands, they agosked me what I was doing, I simply replied walking the dog and walked off

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks B3n ibe got plenty of cree torches and batteries so that wont be an issue the plan was to tell the misses and give myself a good 12 hour window to have a nosey about I'll get a copy of those maps, I did have many google searches but finding something reliable is difficult without anyone wanting to say if there any good and I didn't want an old outdated one.
Thanks again :)

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Thanks B3n ibe got plenty of cree torches and batteries so that wont be an issue the plan was to tell the misses and give myself a good 12 hour window to have a nosey about I'll get a copy of those maps, I did have many google searches but finding something reliable is difficult without anyone wanting to say if there any good and I didn't want an old outdated one.
Thanks again :)

Let us know how u get on Matt, even if its by PM to avoid all the negativity, Im intrigued & really want a return visit myself someday!

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Theres a very good reason for the negativity when we don't know how au fait with underground exploring the asker is. Box is a big deal and you will get lost in there at some point. There is also the issue of MOD plod who are all too real, whatever boomtown says you want to be very careful, the fact that hes just been banned should tell you something.

The more attention box gets the more likely it is that the MOD will do something way more permanent about the entrances or simply just make it criminal trespass, either way we all get fucked over and box is lost forever.

As b3n has said there are one or two ways in but you wont find them just by walking around. No one will tell you either until they know you well enough to trust you. The only thing you will achieve is getting noticed by people in uniform and that is bad for box and all of us. I have stayed away from Box for a good year or so as I dont want to add to the trouble. As I said in my original reply forget about it for a year or two and hopefully the situation will ease. Plenty more to do in Wilts and the surrounding area anyway.

Its not a question of whether its doable or not its a question of should it be done at the moment and the short answer to that is no.

Makisha

28DL Member
28DL Member
And how exactly will you be 'phoning it in' through 20 meters of Wiltshire stone?
The mod plod wont lock you for a night they dont have that power and as I've stated phoning it in would be the last thing I'd consider doing but thanks so much for all your help rather than give advice you've all basically just been dicks unnecessarily
go into brown folly i was in there 2.5 hours a month ago but take spare batt drink and dicent footwear the police are powerless it open your not commiting a crime but go with somebody who experianced and mark your track you could get lost very easy

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Browns is an altogether different beast than Box.

and mark your track you could get lost very easy

DO NOT DO THIS, get a copy of the survey, take it with you and learn it. Theres enough trouble already with people trashing the place and splatting paint all over the place. Things have just started to calm down a bit since Clapham was restored to its former glory a few months ago and the last thing thats needed is idiots going around making more mess for people to clean up.

@Makisha You've fucked up your second quote. @Oxygen Thief didnt say what you have quoted, he was replying to that.

Last edited:

Who has read this thread (Total: 213) View details