real time web analytics
General - - Box freestone quarry | Mines and Quarries | Page 6 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Box freestone quarry

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
AS you joined literally earlier none of us have a clue who you are mate,maybe bung some threads up of what you have done and maybe help would be more forth coming

I've not done alot to be honest, few abounded buildings here and there but I only live 40 mins from box and I've got the kit to help me get around it.
One way or another I'll find a way in (without breaking anything I should point out) I had the opportunity to go last year but didn't and regretting it now.
I've found some maps online and various old entry points so if need be I can go by them but would rather something that has some reliability rather then internet finds.
Sorry I dont mean to sound rude but I know what you mean I could be anyone.
If anyone fancy a trip tho of a weekend I'd be happy to join

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good luck with that, Box is very sealed at the moment. They also actively monitor the entrances so if you do manage to get in which you won't there will be a police response wating for you when you exit. Should of done it a few years ago when things were more sensible.

Police or mod police as the 2 differ greatly and is that a wise use of their time considering most people arnt going in for a 10-20 jolly more like 3-4 hours based on the size.
What if we did an overnight trip are they that set on catching people?

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I've not done alot to be honest, few abounded buildings here and there but I only live 40 mins from box and I've got the kit to help me get around it.
One way or another I'll find a way in (without breaking anything I should point out) I had the opportunity to go last year but didn't and regretting it now.
I've found some maps online and various old entry points so if need be I can go by them but would rather something that has some reliability rather then internet finds.

I cant see me popping down to box on the spur of the moment,im not local,last time i was in box i broke my nose.explore beer won the day

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Police or mod police as the 2 differ greatly and is that a wise use of their time considering most people arnt going in for a 10-20 jolly more like 3-4 hours based on the size.
What if we did an overnight trip are they that set on catching people?

Mod Police. The new ISS at Corsham means they’re very protective of Box.

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I cant see me popping down to box on the spur of the moment,im not local,last time i was in box i broke my nose.explore beer won the day

Broke your nose tho I imagine rather painful there must have been a good comedy side to that

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mod Police. The new ISS at Corsham means they’re very protective of Box.

Mod police are basically powerless anyway with trespassing being a civil law bar take your details theres not much they can do, in my limited experience with mod police round lhynam fake name be apologetic and they send you on your way

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User

The fact that you think Box is straight forward tells me exactly how new to this you are . There is 60 odd miles of passage down there and it gets proper complicated even with the full survey. Let me be blunt. You will NOT get in and you will have the authorities having a word with you, its that simple. ALL the exits have been thoroughly sealed and would need serious tools to get past them. I spend a LOT of time in Wiltshire, take it from someone who is trying to save you a lot of time and grief. Leave it alone for a few years.

Or dont and I will have a right laugh when I read about it in the paper.

cunningcorgi

28DL Regular User
Regular User

If you have never been in Box before, you won't just be rocking up with a few online maps and find that everything is hunky dorey. And this was before it was completely sealed.

As @Oort quite correctly says above, even with the full survey, it will get very complicated and you will find yourself lost or off track at some point no matter how many times you have been there. For a first time, going off survey within 5 mins of entering is not uncommon.

For the foreseeable future, you have missed the boat but if and when things change, I'd seriously consider going in with someone who has been in before who has a fair grasp of the survey or who knows how to navigate in there from experience.

Cave / Mines Rescue have enough on their plate without having to pitch up at Box every few weeks to extract the latest lost party (and all the added publicity this brought previously certainly didn't help when it came to deciding to lock Box up).

Mintyjimbob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I would have loved to visit this place, but like a lot of places found out about it too late

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you have never been in Box before, you won't just be rocking up with a few online maps and find that everything is hunky dorey. And this was before it was completely sealed.

As @Oort quite correctly says above, even with the full survey, it will get very complicated and you will find yourself lost or off track at some point no matter how many times you have been there. For a first time, going off survey within 5 mins of entering is not uncommon.

For the foreseeable future, you have missed the boat but if and when things change, I'd seriously consider going in with someone who has been in before who has a fair grasp of the survey or who knows how to navigate in there from experience.

Cave / Mines Rescue have enough on their plate without having to pitch up at Box every few weeks to extract the latest lost party (and all the added publicity this brought previously certainly didn't help when it came to deciding to lock Box up).

I understand it's not straight forward I'm not going straight in for a jolly I may not have mass amounts of experience, hence the questions I know many people who have been in box admittedly some youths just out for a laugh but the most recent being December between xmas and new year, I can use a compass and a map I'm not the sort to go unprepared and if im honest I'd have to lost in there for well over 24hrs before I even considered phoning it in.
Once I have an entry point I will be making my way in perhaps not too deep but nothing to stop me returning going deeper the next time and so on so forth.
Say what you will but where theres a will theres a way.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Mod police are basically powerless anyway with trespassing being a civil law bar take your details theres not much they can do, in my limited experience with mod police round lhynam fake name be apologetic and they send you on your way

The mod plod will quite happily lock you up for a night, as will the Wiltshire fuzz.

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
I understand it's not straight forward I'm not going straight in for a jolly I may not have mass amounts of experience, hence the questions I know many people who have been in box admittedly some youths just out for a laugh but the most recent being December between xmas and new year, I can use a compass and a map I'm not the sort to go unprepared and if im honest I'd have to lost in there for well over 24hrs before I even considered phoning it in.
Once I have an entry point I will be making my way in perhaps not too deep but nothing to stop me returning going deeper the next time and so on so forth.
Say what you will but where theres a will theres a way.

And how exactly will you be 'phoning it in' through 20 meters of Wiltshire stone?

Matt3579

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
And how exactly will you be 'phoning it in' through 20 meters of Wiltshire stone?

The mod plod wont lock you for a night they dont have that power and as I've stated phoning it in would be the last thing I'd consider doing but thanks so much for all your help rather than give advice you've all basically just been dicks unnecessarily

Who has read this thread (Total: 213) View details