real time web analytics
Report - - Box Freestone, Wiltshire - June 2009 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Freestone, Wiltshire - June 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
Box Freestone mine is made up of 90km of passages, and has been worked as far back as the roman times. Stone output peaked in the 19th century and stopped altogether in 1968. The mine comprises northern, central and southern sections with a military installation to the East.

Visited with urban junky and lew to start off with. After seeing enough pics on the net, we knew we had to drive up to Box and go check it out.
1st stop was to the Quarrymans arms to drink some proper cider, borrow a key and buy some maps. Then more cider, sleep and eventually some mines.

3611450265_e7072377f5.jpg

Plan was to navigate from backdoor to the cathedral and then return to backdoor, and maybe try another route after that.

Cathedral. It is a truly awesome space from wherever you are standing inside.

3608485419_959d6f9c38.jpg

Cathedral Entrance

3609299530_78858757b2.jpg

3609299906_ed7472c0b2.jpg

After taking too many photos of the cathedral, while the others go to have a look at a room nearby, OT, tommo, shadow, maniac and larey appear almost out of nowhere! Great to meet everyone, then crack on with the exploring!

After seeing the cathedral, we had a great explore of the old workings, cranes, the robot rooms, the military bits climbing over and under some crazy falls along the way.

Crab winch

3609312470_6e2bac3d59.jpg

3608497647_dc14c57061.jpg

A spot of television

3608497135_b9b9f4e4e2.jpg

3608496917_70eec062ef.jpg

One of the many cranes

3608499259_988f2f0f76.jpg

Steps to the ladder o doom

3612263608_453fdd32db.jpg

Remnants of the mine

3609314186_87a01c9202.jpg

3608498587_74fd2c1c19.jpg

Short video -

Thanks to everyone involved and great to meet everyone, was a top day out! Thanks OT and t o m m o for the tour and for navigating the whole time, wouldn't of seen a lot if we hadnt bumped into you lot!

Cheers :thumb

larey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
:thumb second shot with you lot sat in the alcove looks mint, that and 4 n 6!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Again, great pics and a great day out. You wouldn't know it, but it was tommos first time down there. He's gonna own the place at this rate.

tucker

Scallywag
28DL Full Member
I Know! I was surprised when i found that out ! Good effort tommo. Will definitely have to get the map out next time and try and follow.

bobob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha spotted Tommo a mile off in that vid - do you wear the same clothes underground all the time?

Sorry mate - it was the yellow kit bag that gave you away :D

Navigation Supremo you are fella

tommo

shire lad born & breeding
28DL Full Member
hey i have only just found your thread tucker, dont know how i missed it
top pic buddy, the second one is really cool

it was a good day out and a nice little explore, like u said it was my first time in box but luckly i am reasonably good with directions and knowing where i am. saying that untill i get lost one day lol, u wait till i get further into box and it gets a bit hairy, at the end of the day u only learn from your mistakes

video is cool, i might try and make one next time!! if i can get the camera out the bedroom!! lol

Haha spotted Tommo a mile off in that vid - do you wear the same clothes underground all the time?

Sorry mate - it was the yellow kit bag that gave you away :D

Navigation Supremo you are fella

yeah i got same stuff for underground exploring, but saying that the t-shirt is a little bit shot after the crawl throught the small hole in the metal fence lol

got a new one now to destroy at some point.:crazy

bobob let us now next time u down again, would be nice to catch up
maybe a little explore and a pint, i owe root one for getting them in last week :thumb

bobob

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Funny you say that Tommo, we may see you rather sooner than you think! PM sent :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details