real time web analytics
Report - - Box Mine - September 2014 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Mine - September 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
THIS IS HOW NOT TO FIND THE CATHEDRAL!

Me and a mate decided to go down to Box Mine today and check it out and while I can say we had an epic fail trying to find the Cathedral we both had a bloody good time. As it's my first time in a proper Mine and a long time since my buddy was underground it was quite something to behold. I think we must of walked past the Cathedral a couple of times although I'm not entirely sure we were even in the right part.

We entered backdoor and climbed down in the chamber then around to the right to get to the first obviously hewn spot. Spent 10 minutes walking around that bit and then all the way down to the end and found the very small gap that gets you into the Mine proper (I guess) After that we couldn't make any sense of the map just followed some of the more obvious markers and saw quite a lot actually. Im sure we were on the right track in OXO 1 cos we walked past an arrow pointing ahead to cathedral and passed another one pointing back the other way some 30 or 40 meters ahead.

At that point we thought we'd got a tiny bit lost but in the end we had just gone down one passage we shouldn't of, we then realised that we were going to get seriously lost if we carried on so headed back to back door.

The weird thing is I've watched a couple of videos and it seems like cathedral is about five minutes from back door down some really large tunnels which are basically large all the way back. The way we went is most definitely not that way.

Even though it was an epic fail we both thoroughly enjoyed it and are planning on going back really soon hopefully this time with someone who actually knows what they're doing cos we couldn't read that map for shit!

Also I have a new found respect for you guys as photographers as we tried taking some pics down there and while some of them came out OK I can really see how much work was been put into some of the efforts. Fully lighting up the cathedral for example must of been awesome.

Small disclaimer, we did thoroughly research the mine before we went, used all the right gear, bought the map etc. so we knew what we were up against somewhat.

Anyway, Mines. Awesome.

I did shoot the whole thing on my action cam which came out reasonable well, it's not particularly exciting but someone may be able to tell me exactly where we went wrong if I upload it.

A few pics

Me getting ready

NGqYgbf.jpg

My Buddy Rich after we got out. (Much rejoicing!)

8Nm3rcz.jpg

Light Painting Attempt

35zsQfM.jpg

A few shots ripped from my Action Cam video (Rollei Youngstar; it did surprisingly well)

We ain't that deep!

yDy5C4c.jpg

Sparkly Ceiling

KCPyJUI.jpg

O route, not OXO!

5YxqLUA.jpg

Rich leading the way.

S1HIeUd.jpg

Part II

How to find the Cathedral the CORRECT way!

We went back again on Sunday for another try at the Cathedral and actually found it, it really does help if you enter the mine in the correct place!

Yay! We're on the right track.
S8pSHw8.jpg

Not my idea of a good place to do that but I'm sure it takes all sorts.
IIbwMHT.jpg

Still on target
CXmkTdn.jpg

Woo Hoo!
8ibhLI6.jpg

Obligatory Me shot
vhEUFU5.jpg

Tallrich with a better one
C4fFbkx.jpg

Looking back from the spoil heap.
RUAbfZi.jpg

Some more light painting attempts, slowly, very slowly, getting the hang of it.
nitOFqJ.jpg

MZhZP1U.jpg

JDTjlfl.jpg

jBYT7t4.jpg

After we got bored of Cathedral we carried on on the suggested route on the back of the map for another half a paragraph until we decided the map and mine were too different to adequately continue without someone who actually knows their way around.

We'll be back for more very soon though, absolutely loving the place.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Re: Box Mine

Ive never read the map while in box but get a compass and try again.Cathederal isnt that far atal from backdoor

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: Box Mine

Sounds like a usual day out down there. I always get lost, at least once a trip, but if you're methodical and keep your eyes open it always works out OK. Obviously maps and compass are essential. The routes around Backdoor are a complete maze especially from the East, the worst there is down there I reckon so it's no surprise you got caught out.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for sharing.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Thanks for the encouragement!

Looking at the old map we got from another box mine report here, it looks like we got onto the O route instead of OXO1 then walked straight over the AO which would of taken us to the Cathedral and carried on on the O until we got a bit lost and headed back.

Also is there more than one exit at backdoor? cos in this video they came out of a completely different one to what I understand to be the main backdoor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy7qKHqG6V4

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
The one in the vid or the one we came out of or are they the same? cos it looks well different now than it did in that video.

Also added a few pics to the OP.

Lenston

Bajo Tierra
Regular User
Im not going to even mention how long it took to get to the cathedral from backdoor the first time i went, lets just say we went off route :)

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Looking at this thread

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...rry-Wiltshire-06-2013?highlight=box+wiltshire

The easiest entrance into the mines nowadays is by Jack's workings. This is in the most southern region of the mines known as the Lower Hill Series. The entrance is found in the woods on Quarry Hill near the west portal of Box Tunnel. Another entrance still accessible is the Backdoor. This is found at the foot off a cliff face near the top of Love Lane. This entrance is somewhat more difficult than Jacks Workings but it does provide direct access into the central-region of the mines.

So where is backdoor then cos we walked around for ages trying to find it, Asked a guy watering his plants and he said that it was situated in one of his neighbours back garden. We then went around to the pub and a guy told us where the entrance that we used was. No wonder we couldn't find the cathedral we probably started in the wrong entrance!

EDIT: We entered one of the grills that's marked as closed on the map just before you get to backdoor.

Last edited:

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We got lost getting out of box from the cathedral, it seems pretty standard fare for everyone to get lost in this place :)

canute

货车司机和国王
28DL Full Member
Glad I'm not the only one who's got lost in Box. Funny how when you navigate by compass underground you sometimes get the impression you're going in completely the wrong direction

TallRich

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks for posting this Al, had a really good day, and can't wait to get back into this mine again!!

nice to see some mugshots of me made the final cut!

we'll have to get some better photos next time :)