Web
Analytics
Report - - Box Quarry, Whiltshire, Oct 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Box Quarry, Whiltshire, Oct 2012



Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
#1
Visited with Oxygen Thief, Styru, Urban Junkie, Tucker, Atomic and another (apologies can't remember your name :banghead Not alot to say about this other than it was a nice relaxed and enjoyable wander, even with the interesting climb up the back of Cathedral! Bumped into a couple of other groups down there, possibly Phantom Bish and associates?! Was brilliant to finally see all the sites down there and a big thank you to the guys for the tour.


History

Box Freestone Quarry is the largest of the bathstone quarries its name is a combination of its location beneath Box hill and the type of stone it produced. a free stone is one which can be worked with a chisel to produce architectural moldings and tracery. The fine lime stone produced in the Bath area is prime example of a freestone. Quarrying on Box hill dates back to medieval times when the stone was extracted from pits in the hillside where the stone reached the surface. Later quarrying would take place around vertical shafts and it is this method of mining which lead to the construction of one of Box Freestone's most spectacular features, The Cathedral which was quarried via vertical shaft between 1830 and 1850.

The last section of the quarry to be worked was Cliftworks quarry in the northern district which closed in 1969, These working branched off a single long passage which open out of the hillside at Cliftworks Entrance over looking the A4. The passages in the northern district still retain the largest number of artifacts including number of complete cranes, Stone saws and an intact crab winch. Throughout the Cliftworks passages the floor is uneven with the pits left behind by the rotten sleepers which once supported the rail network in this part of the quarry, Clift works was the most modern part of the quarry with stone hauled out by a small locomotive, a water tank near Cliftworks entrance was built to service the engine and the passage roofs are still stained by the locomotives exhaust.


On with some pics!


DSC_4254.jpg


DSC_4256.jpg


DSC_4261.jpg


DSC_4263.jpg


DSC_4266.jpg


Dweebs paddling pool :p:
DSC_4269.jpg


DSC_4273.jpg


A spot of lunch by the crab winch
DSC_4275.jpg


DSC_4280.jpg


DSC_4281.jpg


DSC_4285.jpg


DSC_4287.jpg


Looking down from the top of the stairs
DSC_4294.jpg


DSC_4301.jpg


DSC_4307.jpg


DSC_4311.jpg


DSC_4312.jpg



Thanks for looking :)​
 

Similar threads