real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Boxbush (Lea) Tunnel, Hereford - Aug 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Boxbush (Lea) Tunnel, Hereford - Aug 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Boxbush (Lea) Tunnel

History

Authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1851, the Hereford Ross & Gloucester Railway was opened from Grange Court Junction to a temporary terminus at Hopeswood on 11th July 1853. Slow progress building the 771-yard Lea Tunnel delayed completion of the through route until 1st June 1855. Built for broad gauge, the single track bore was the most significant structure on the section to Ross; it also marked its highest point. It occasionally masquerades under the pseudonyms of Lea Line, Boxbush or Mitcheldean.

Functional masonry portals lead to a bore that is straight, fully-lined in stone and on a falling gradient of 1:144 to the east. There are no ventilation shafts but regular refuges are provided on both sides, some with exposed rock at their rear. Catchpits down the centreline provide access to a drain. Immediately inside the east end is a five-course brick insert, presumably added for strengthening. A second and neater section of reinforcement is found towards the middle, this time in tougher engineering brick.

August 1869 saw the line's conversion to standard gauge, a job that took just five days. But decline came swiftly with the motor car's arrival. Passenger services were withdrawn on 2nd November 1964 with freight continuing for another year.

Today the tunnel is bricked-up at its western end although holes have been created for bats. The eastern entrance remains open. The drain no longer functions particularly well. As a result, although the tunnel is mostly dry, water ingress can, in places, result in streams running at the foot of either wall.

(Stolen from Forgotten Relics)

The Visit

A quick revisit on the way to something a bit more interesting, my first attempt at this place was a disaster photowise as the middle section of the tunnel is extremely misty/dusty and makes taking long shots nigh on impossible. So, a quick chat with @Lenston about camera settings, a few more lumens and a @Bertie Bollockbrains it was time to go back.

Due to the tunnel being smack bang in the middle of someones private garden permission had to be obtained. It is doable without permission but they are lovely people and are quite accommodating to people wanting to explore the tunnel, so, please ask them first.

The day was a little colder than my first visit so the mist inside wasn't quite as bad but still pretty annoying for photography so I apologise in advance for the photos.

The Pics

LvxEgj2.jpg

7CMJ1AK.jpg

yrv7TRl.jpg

Gl2cqUz.jpg

aei5seq.jpg

kbfV4rF.jpg

4jpEJKw.jpg

d3lhtEG.jpg

IS7m8lj.jpg

zHY6FrA.jpg

2zWAgXn.jpg

2Q7MG9m.jpg

HtgvTGq.jpg

8yeDfh6.jpg

2dDDAkj.jpg

5iDdUFS.jpg

hZoprzw.jpg

n5lB7XE.jpg

BakWPuz.jpg

X78WmBw.jpg

qZsXrqi.jpg

zPcbGCC.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nicely done mate :thumb Wish i had a 771YD tunnel in my back garden ;)

Nice too see your taking more Lumens in with you, it certainly makes a difference & I did wonder what these Lidl/Screwfix type LED units would be like in a tunnel & now i know so thanks.....Cough .....Nitecore .....Cough :D

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
loll yeah a whole £60 spent for 100 Chinese watts of LED light, to be fair they're not bad I wouldn't bother with the 50w but the 20 and 30's are pretty damn good.

When I have £400 spare A nitecore I shall be having!! Or I'll drive up north and pester you to go exploring with me lol