real time web analytics
Report - - Bracknell Ski Slope, Berkshire. September 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bracknell Ski Slope, Berkshire. September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RXQueen

T-Rex Urbex
28DL Full Member
Another visit with @Chloe Explores and my daughter.

Having seen this place pop up we decided to go and see for ourselves. Being a high structure it’s impossible not to be noticed so was a case of get in and go for it. After gaining access (we came to the slope about halfway up) there was a long, steep climb to the top. Fabulous views up there and at the back slope at the bottom 2 people were sat on chairs watching and probably wondering what the hell we were doing up there.

Not a great deal to see other than the ski lift (and trying one of the chairs out), the top. of the toboggan run and the main slope. After looking around and grabbing some pics came the longer walk down to the bottom. the slope has quite a bit of damage here and there and at the bottom there’s not a lot else as the main building is really secure and most likely alarmed. We did gain access to a balcony area overlooking the slope, first crawl for me (or rather roll as i can’t crawl).

Was enjoyable as something very different to what i’ve done before. behind the complex is a beautiful hotel, still in use, that looks just like a swiss ski lodge.

History

The man behind it -

Leonard John Nike OBE DL (5 July 1935 – 25 December 2016) was an English businessman, and a leisure and hotel entrepreneur. He was best known for being the owner of the eponymous John Nike Leisuresport chain of dry ski slope complexes. he was the Chairman of a Bracknell-based company encompassing a wide range of activities, with commercial interests spanning property, construction, a hotel, restaurants, skiing and ice skating.

He originally came from Devon. He moved to Bracknell in 1964 and worked for a garden centre until 1967. Following redundancy, Nike decided to find some land to build his own garden centre. He acquired 60 acres (24 ha) of land (formerly Binfield Brickworks) in the town in 1969 through his company Key Properties Ltd. Planning permission was eventually obtained in 1979 to build a leisuresport complex, hotel, garden centre and business park. The centre opened in 1985 for dry slope skiing and in 1987 for ice skating. The adjacent four star, 205-bedroom Coppid Beech Hotel, which has an alpine ski lodge design, opened in 1993 and is operated by his company Nike Group Hotels Ltd.

The slope -

The ski slope and ice centre closed in March when coronavirus restrictions came in. The firm said "a financially viable plan" for the complex, which features a 2,400 seat ice skating arena and artificial slopes, could not be found. The company said all 67 staff based at the site had been made redundant.

It was the longest artificial ski slope in the south east, and used its own patented artificial surface called permasnow which was the first freestyle-friendly (closed carpet) surface in the country. Unlike other artificial surfaces it does not need a sprinkler system. it is also one of the only artificial slopes in the country to have a chairlift and is home to the legendary Crest Run toboggan track which is definitely worth a look.

Nearly 12,000 people have signed a petition calling for the centre to remain open.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
The building is very well alarmed, it got a lot of attention from idiots a month or so back, doesn't help there's a pikey site pretty much next door.

chills

Queller of the uprising
Fake slopes like this need a lot of care and attention to sustain operation so I highly doubt it’ll reopen, parts also look a little trashed for a 6 month closure. Got some nice shots there though!

Seffy

Staff member
Love things like this! If I lived near I'd be hoping for some snow every winter :D

Who has read this thread (Total: 405) View details