real time web analytics
Report - - Bradford Conditioning House June 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bradford Conditioning House June 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Squirrell 911

28DL Regular User
Regular User
DSC_3407.jpg

When I first moved over to Bradford armed with my trusty Olympus E500 and a vague idea I did this place and a year or so later I have taken people round it. It was one of the last places I tried to get in with Solomon before he passed but unfortunatly it was locked up. I knew it would become available again one day as all buildings do but this time I have a better camera and it seems to have fallen off the radar for the derpologists.
Getting in was a reminder of why I enjoy this as it was a bit sketchy and inside it has really gone downhill since I was last in there back in 2009.

History
Corner site with Cape Street. The Conditioning House was built by the Corporation on continental precedents to check and control the moisture content of textiles by means of laboratory examination and certify their true weight and length. It is the only one of its kind in this country. The service was established in 1887 and the Conditioning House was purpose built 1900-02 by the city architect F E P Edwardsto the designs of F Wild who died in 1901. The building is erected on 4-storeys and basement around 3 sides of an open court. Restrained detailing with elements of the Queen Anne style.

Sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings, ashlar ground floor and vermiculated rustication to the basement, ie in the warehouse tradition giving emphasis to the lower storeys. Centrepiece to Cape Street with pedimented blind attic and ball finials, flanking pilaster strips and pilastered portal with ornate east iron gates. The canted corner with Canal Road is similarly treated and the return elevation is a long, plain range with 2 segmental pedimented blind attic features.

DSC_3403.jpg

DSC_3385.jpg

DSC_3381.jpg

DSC_3361.jpg

DSC_3368.jpg

DSC_3366.jpg

DSC_3363.jpg

DSC_3359.jpg

DSC_3354.jpg

DSC_3349.jpg

DSC_3336.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
F-in awesome mate…looked at this a few times with no joy..back over to Bradford now.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Been in a here a few times or more, mainly with you I think Squirrel.

It's a very important place, shame it's so important the listing is killing it slowly, IMO.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice ones mate :thumb

Not seen it done for quite a while as you say, for obvious reasons plus the bloody nosey doorman next door, bumped into him a few times :wanker

Had a closer look at this while taking Reich round some of Bradfords finer spots a few months ago & forgot to come back lol It is as it says all over the building "Dangerous floors" but i suppose the risk is offset by not being 6" deep in used needles like the other Mills.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Has the database suddenly restored back to 2009 :D

What next a report from @turkey

Good stuff, although it's a fair ruin these day's, about time they did something useful with it

tweek

SNC/SWC
Regular User
We saw a salvaged plaque from here in a dyers in the Holme Valley recently.

@jST may or may not have a photo.

Last time I was here was 4 years ago. And we didn't get in!

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Nice to see this Squirrel. I remember that day with Solomon, and the 5-0 bust prior to this place at Denso in Leeds. Some good memories. Cheers!