real time web analytics
Report - - Bramcote Secondary School, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire – September 2020 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bramcote Secondary School, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire – September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
History
The building was opened in 1948 as a Secondary Modern boys school, the first of several schools to be constructed within the Bramcote Hills Park. The school was closed on July 21st, 2017 with the 476 pupils moving to a nearby college, while a new building will be built and the old school demolished.

The Explore
I really enjoyed visiting this building, it’s a great piece of late 40s architecture, with lovely hardwood floors, a great gently curved corridor, running the length of the school, and some lovely details which you just don’t get in many modern buildings. It was also nice to see so many original windows remaining with their thin and graceful metal transoms and frames. Post-war architecture like this is certainly under-appreciated and it’s such a shame this will only be demolished after nearly seventy years of use. There’s also quite a lot of stuff left behind, virtually all modern of course but it makes it a bit more interesting then just photographing empty rooms.
Once I got in I soon set the alarm, but it took me a while to realise as it’s located at other end by the entrance, no one came but it wasn’t too pleasant taking photos at the very front.

_DSC9934_edited 3.jpg

The main entrance.

_DSC9932_edited 3.jpg

Round the back showing the hall, with the kitchens on the right.

_DSC9903_edited 3.jpg

Looking into the building from the main entrance, showing the doors to the hall.

_DSC9906_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9905_edited 3.jpg

Looking back from the doors to the hall.

_DSC9878_edited 3.jpg

The hall was my favorite part of the building, although it isn't really clear from the photo the walls taper towards the stage.

_DSC9880_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9883_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9888_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9901_edited 3.jpg

I got onto the roof to try and get to the projector room, but unfortunately it was locked up. It did however offer a nice perspective of the curved shape to the building.

_DSC9886_edited 3.jpg

Corridor leading to the canteen with doors to the hall on the right, looking back towards the entrance.

_DSC9890 3.jpg

Entrance to the canteen, with some nice skylights.

_DSC9891 3.jpg

_DSC9894 3.jpg

The kitchens.

_DSC9907_edited 3.jpg

The lovely curve of the main corridor.

_DSC9872 3.jpg

The library.

_DSC9913 3.jpg

The corridor leading to the sealed gym.

_DSC9868_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9916_edited 3.jpg

Science store.

_DSC9919_edited 3.jpg

One of the science classrooms.

_DSC9924_edited 3.jpg

And another, plenty of stuff left behind here.

_DSC9867_edited 3.jpg

One of the art rooms.

_DSC9862_edited 3.jpg

Stairs leading to art and food classrooms.

_DSC9856_edited 3.jpg

_DSC9855_edited 3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Well done there u got more pics than me. Someone certainly came when we set em off but we were casually strolling back up the road by that point

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Cant believe they would demolish something like this. I wonder if the windows and doors get re-used/reclaimed? you try and get something new put in like this and the cost is absurd.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice showcase. Lovely clean & natural lite shots. Like this.
Agree with Zombizza, to build something like this would cost a fortune. Councils just waste money:(

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Did you get under the stage, and do you reckon there’s anything in the projector room?
I had a look under the stage but just seemed to all be empty rooms. Hard to tell is there's anything left in the projector room, it clearly hasn't been used for quite some time but didn't want to be up on the roof too long as it's fairly exposed.

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Cant believe they would demolish something like this. I wonder if the windows and doors get re-used/reclaimed? you try and get something new put in like this and the cost is absurd.

Agree with Zombizza, to build something like this would cost a fortune. Councils just waste money:(

Yeah it's such a waste isn't it, especially when you take into account all the soft furnishings left behind. The site is well designed and has a lot of character, I can't see today's schools showing a similar charm when they are 70 years old.
I don't think much will get salvaged when the building is demolished, windows like that would have limited use nowadays and they probably don't have a very good energy efficiency rating or whatever crap dictates modern buildings. The only element which really has any chance of being salvaged is the hardwood parquet flooring. I'm sure there'd be a market for the stuff and the amount which is still there should be worth a fortune, there's probably a ton more hidden under the modern carpet and laminate.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
@Terminal Decline was the projector room possibly in the locked room up these stairs? Or was it an external roof entrance? It's only fifteen mins up the road from me so I'll keep checking in, be nice if some period stuff survives in there!

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
@Terminal Decline was the projector room possibly in the locked room up these stairs? Or was it an external roof entrance? It's only fifteen mins up the road from me so I'll keep checking in, be nice if some period stuff survives in there!

I'm pretty certain the projector room can only be accessed from the roof, I had a look around the rooms on the first floor at the front of the hall but there didn't seem to be any way in.
Screenshot_20201005_192555.jpg

The yellow circle is the locked wooden door. There is a ladder going up to it on the other side, accessible from a fire exit.
The blue circles are windows/ maybe doors which have steel shutters closed over them.