Web
Analytics
Report - - BRAMHAM BIGGIN, Bramham Park, Wetherby April 2019 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - BRAMHAM BIGGIN, Bramham Park, Wetherby April 2019

DriftersUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all!

[Introduction]
New member(s) Danny & Lauren here so, first of all, we would like to show our gratitude for the exciting content posted by this community, forum, and social media. We have been entertained and inspired by the work done by all explorers. It made us both wonder with such a growing community that is sharing content all of the time, is there anything left that's untouched or undocumented? Urban exploration has always interested both me and Lauren
But why leave the comfort of your own dwelling to venture into the unknown? When there are thousands of videos to watch, hundreds of thousand's creepy reports to read and an infinite number of eerie photographs to study. The feeling of deflation came over us as we began researching, Asylums now rebuilt, sites demolished, warehouses now residential homes. What can we really bring to the table? Is there any place left that is unreported? We could explore places that have been reported on before sure and it would be a fun and interesting experience but it's not what we wanted, we agreed that if we would do it, it would be somewhere worthy of reporting here on 28 days later, and believe me we found just the place.

We had planned a trip with 5 places on our list, 4 of them have been explored and reported before and 1 place we found on a Pinterest board of abandoned places in Yorkshire, we googled the estate name and found lots of very beautiful pictures of the park, the grounds, all 17-18 c limestone buildings set on 500 acres of land in Wetherby near Leeds. The Bramham park estate is open to the public except on weekends and tourists can pay for tours of the stunning manor and park gardens, and it often hosts public events and private functions and the land is used for the horse trails. 1st Baron Bingley owned the estate and died without an heir. So his son in law George Fox-Lane inherited it. (and also the name Baron Bingley for some odd reason) Then he died and passed it on to the original Baron's Nephew James Fox-Lane who thought the estate needed cool kid upgrades, then it passed to his degenerate son who was a politician who watched the house burn so he moved out for like 80 years and when he died, his grandson George Lane-Fox restored the place in 1908 but after 4 attempts to have a son and only winning daughters he died and so with it did the Barony Title but his eldest daughter Marcia, she married a bloke called Joe and he adopted the Fox-Lane name they had a son George (Lane-Fox now for some weird reason) who was a 20 year cavalry veteran who invested in renovations and made it well again and eventually founded the Bramham Horse Trails in 1974, he died in 2012 and now his son 'Nick' (haha) owns the estate and I guess he's a sound bloke, he must be because Leeds fest is hosted on the grounds every year, maybe he's the sound and lighting engineer one can only speculate.

that covers some of the history, basically.

It's a massive English estate with very rich horse loving people, all of the buildings are grade 1/2 listed structures.

The building we had our heart set on was the Bramham Biggin:

1555935391416.png

The Bramham Biggin (above) Was used as a children's nursery and housed evacuees during ww2. the history ends there with this particular building on the estate, we didn't manage to find any more history post-ww2. Photo Credit: Gordon Hatton

We spent hours trying to find any clue of what the interior is like, a brief architectural description on https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1135632 but not a single interior photo. We drew a blank every time, nothing on forums, google images, historic archives, everything we found was EXTERIOR only. Could this mean that this is an undocumented, unreported abandon? We were excited., we set a date, a long weekend this easter, good Friday to be precise - through Easter Sunday, hitting up a few other known places as a taster early Friday afternoon sleeping in the back of our Skoda.

1555936130475.png

Multi-Story car parks are a perfect way to spend a night in the city for frugal campers, secure, great views day and night, cctv everywhere and most of them have a night guard, and waking up to church bells across the road is an experience we will never forget. not bad for 8 quid a night. https://www.instagram.com/drifters_uk/

Okay, let's get into the report now.

Good Friday. 2000 hrs
We arrived at Bramham Biggin after 3 places on our hit list didn't exist anymore and another that had been sealed off so thoroughly you'd have thought that it was a Ukranian nuclear disaster site, Not a weak spot anywhere, just some outbuildings with nothing interesting to report. just a few shots for Instagram and move on.

1555937265938.png

Lauren Recce's the rear of the property from an outbuilding to the North of Bramham Biggin, listening for anything interesting and just taking in the beauty of the architectural magnificence of this 3 story nursery/home. https://www.instagram.com/drifters_uk/

I am a climber, always have been and always will be. Lauren is a novice climber, So we opt for a ground floor approach and investigate the lower floors and found a hole in the cellar door just big enough for us both.

1555937660079.png

The Cellar was Dark, Dank, Slimy, the floor was hard concrete with a slippery moldy slime that covered the cellar and 2 foot of the lower walls, it smelled damp and fusty and we had disturbed the rodent shit on the floor which kicked up brand new stenches however the cellar was a dead end, Just a small crawl space that led underneath with a hatch that wouldn't move Time for a new plan. https://www.instagram.com/drifters_uk/

vlcsnap-2019-04-22-14h01m37s944.jpg
2030 hrs I had gained entry by a short but sketchy climb. however, I was so very alone, and all of a sudden it was deadly quiet,

Not even the sound of echoes, I could hear my heart beating and blood rushing into my own ears, it was dark now, inside and out, with only 2 phones 1 to communicate with Lauren and 1 to document my findings, and a surprisingly powerful LED torch bought from Lidl on our way out of town earlier that day. I found my way to the ground floor and attempted to call Lauren to let her know everything was alright, I hit call and wait, but no ring, when I look down at my phone, no bars.

1555939481391.png

My eyeballs shoot out of my head, in that instant I am nervous and my hands are clammy, the gloves that I had purchased especially for this trip to protect my clumsy hands from cuts had been left at home, in my excited anticipation I didn't bring them, A rookie error.

1556010700301.png

I had already sustained a cut to my finger while attempting to catch the drone while landing earlier, a fresh wound ready for a gnarly infection to get into my careless hands.

There must be some way to get Lauren inside on the ground floor or through the cellar...I checked for weaknesses, doors, windows, all boarded shut on the ground floor. I go back upstairs into a rear bedroom and opened one of the old slide-up pully windows and whisper down to Lauren. 'This place is awesome, I will find a way to get you inside'

1556011684410.png
I am pretty sure that if I could locate the cellar, there would be a hatch that would give Lauren access through into the main building. my search continues.
1556012169750.png
I run back down to the ground floor, through the narrow halls to the rear, Paint peeling off everywhere like a scene from the original Silent Hill. I am breathing heavy through my snood, it was late and I was physically tired but mentally alert. I need to find the cellar door, maybe in the kitchen? that made sense to me logically.
1556011933294.png
The kitchen had lots of interesting Items Inside the drawers, some lace and sewing items, old alkaline batteries and also something I had overlooked, a window key, but the penny didn't drop at this point, I picked it up, and because I was now so fixated on finding the cellar, I disregarded this key as useless and put it back. another rookie error. still, no door or hatch leading to the cellar.

1556012993068.png

My search for the cellar door resulted in a discovery of this door with the handle removed on the ground floor under the stairs. could this be the gateway get 100% of the team inside? There's no handle and no barrel though so still more Resident evil style searching had to be done. I was getting annoyed, we are a team, not solo runners but at this point, a message comes through on my phone,

1556013351330.png

Fuck it, she's on the lookout I am inside, get the explore done and we can watch the footage later. so I calm myself down, my heart is still beating but my breathing is more controlled. I am eager to search the top floors and the loft. I have to mention at this point, I knew next to nothing about this building, I am careless and forgetful and often don't pay attention enough Lauren had done the research on 6-7 places and to be honest with you by this point I was quite confused as to what was what regarding each place, the day had consisted of long drives holding onto full bladders and gathering intel on any abandon's we could, my head was spinning with so much info I didn't know the history of this place.

1556013781467.png
One thing though, the kids in this place were tall! (I am 1 inch short of 6 foot)

By now It was dark outside, the area is very rural, and the moon this good Friday was full, turning the sky a deep midnight blue hue that sent very faint cascades of light through the main entrance hall and stairwell.

1556014092678.png

I switched the torch off briefly to get a sense of the raw ambiance on the landing, 2 south facing windows above the main hall spookily illuminated the banister rail and I continued to the door opposite.

The door revealed another narrow stairwell up to the loft/second floor, with smaller rooms, I briefly checked the bottom floor again and then started to ascend, on the top, there was a beautiful half-circle arched window with intact panes of glass, covered in cobwebs and shredded spider skeletons. at this point, I think you guys will have to see for yourself what happens, I have uploaded to our Youtube, short raw video footage of what I documented, as it happened unedited and exactly how I experienced it. it speaks for itself, and it is something that I or Lauren will never forget.

Here's what occurred.

A full video report/documentary will be edited, we make more discoveries after I manage to get Lauren inside on Easter Sunday.

Thanks for reading our report on our first real explore, tell me has anybody been here before? and what discoveries did you make? I would love to hear more about the Bramham Biggin and would love to piece together its history. would love to connect with other Urbexers via Facebook/ Instagram /youtube.

Happy Easter to you all.
Peace.

Danny & Lauren (Drifters_uk)

20190419_215904.jpg

1555939423245.png

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
you've done a really good job with that write up and its clearly taken up some time to do so well done for that though your photos show very little of the explore. No ones interested in selfies of the two of you tbh. Id also recommend ditching the clickbait title "Are we the first? REPORT!" and including the month/year as per forum rules.

Despite all that it was a fairly interesting read and a really good effort! :thumb

DriftersUK

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
you've done a really good job with that write up and its clearly taken up some time to do so well done for that though your photos show very little of the explore. No ones interested in selfies of the two of you tbh. Id also recommend ditching the clickbait title "Are we the first? REPORT!" and including the month/year as per forum rules.

Despite all that it was a fairly interesting read and a really good effort! :thumb
Thanks for that, duly noted. we will heed your advice and edit.

TranKmasT

"You BOY!
Regular User

Jesus mate. That showed some restraint. Why not tell it how it is ,which is a cliche ridden,scary Mary ,goon tubers on patrol. Yes it shows some creative writing an A level student would be proud of but what does it deliver?

Have a read of this.
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/28-days-later-survival-guide-for-newbies.116319/

Redavni Ecaps

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great write up, cheers.

Redavni Ecaps

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Welcome, unfortunately you wont get far with a report like that on here.... Try not to get lost in the world of 'goon-tubers plaguing the internet with youtube videos..... You might end up like this guy...

View attachment 802492

If it's a hobby he enjoys and at the same time gets payed i don't see a problem.

Better than being a giro head aint it?

Point is if you're in it for youtube boosting you won't get any support from most of the members here, all this forum is for is photographs, your post lacks them.
Not many members here are into paranormal things, a lot of them explore alone and are not phased by bumps in the night so you won't get a lot of respect on here for it.
They just want straight forward posts containing a little info or a lot if it has a good history and some fairly decent photographs, if you can respect that you will be respected.

Good luck on your quest :)

Last edited:

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Jesus mate. That showed some restraint. Why not tell it how it is ,which is a cliche ridden,scary Mary ,goon tubers on patrol. Yes it shows some creative writing an A level student would be proud of but what does it deliver?

Have a read of this.
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/threads/28-days-later-survival-guide-for-newbies.116319/
Not really, just didn't think the post warranted being a complete cunt to the OP. Having been here years and written a fair few reports I like everyone else will know this takes some time and effort and the fact this dudes made the effort and written up the explore fairly well then it shows a good attempt at posting to the forum and not just pushing some shitty video like most of the new members seem to these days.

OP actually took my comment on board and didn't bitch about it either, cant really argue with that.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
I was going to update with a full video explore, but people are more into photographs here?
Videos don't really work for showing or documenting a place though can be good if done well but its rare they are actually much good to be honest. There is a video section of the forum specifically for posting videos only. The main forums should be used for photo reports. :thumb