real time web analytics
Report - - Bramshall / Bromshall Railway Tunnel, Staffordshire, March 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bramshall / Bromshall Railway Tunnel, Staffordshire, March 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MoonDog

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
HISTORY

Single track tunnel 321 yards long on the Stafford to Uttoxeter line near the village of Bramshall, but possibly due to a simple spelling error, became known as Bromshall Tunnel. Opened December 1867; through services ended March 1951. The Stephenson Locomotive Society ran the line's very last train in 1957 after which track lifting soon began. The tunnel is brick lined throughout with portals edged in stone. Today the northern portal is infilled. Credit: www.forgottenrelics.co.uk

THE VISIT

I decided on this tunnel for my very first explore as it is not on this site AFAIK and it's quite local to me. I had 2 visits here as some pics from first visit needed improving. The tunnel is flooded; the southern portal just a few inches deep but the northern portal is about 3 feet deep and there are signs that it's been about a foot deeper. Fortunately I'd read about this in advance so went prepared. As soon as I got inside I realised that my Petzl head lamp and Lenser 7.2 torch did not give sufficient light but with a bit of torch waving during exposures and post-processing I think I got away with a couple of pics I expected to be unusable, but I must get a better torch for future. Thoroughly enjoyed my first explore and am eager to do more! On with the pics.....any tips or criticisms welcome.

bramshall_mar16_013d5b5.jpg

bramshall_mar16_023ac98.jpg

bramshall_mar16_03d91c5.jpg

bramshall_mar16_045c985.jpg

bramshall_mar16_05d63c6.jpg

bramshall_mar16_0623cb3.jpg

bramshall_mar16_07ee729.jpg

bramshall_mar16_08ef273.jpg

....a closer view....
bramshall_mar16_0948633.jpg

a few of the refuges had both brick arch and timber lintels
bramshall_mar16_10c1185.jpg

bramshall_mar16_11e1526.jpg

bramshall_mar16_124c1fe.jpg

bramshall_mar16_13c95e5.jpg

Water was 3 feet deep here. Didn't get to see the outside of this portal as it was almost dark when I came out on each occasion. Maybe next time
bramshall_mar16_143893e.jpg

Last edited:

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Good first report and well done for persevering!

Look forward to seeing some more from you :thumb

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Was well worth the effort mate, some good pictures despite the adverse conditions. Cracked it I'd say.

Cheers and thanks for sharing.