real time web analytics
Brandon stadium Coventry - November 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Brandon stadium Coventry - November 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

trikey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Opened in 1928, Brandon stadium hosted Speedway, stock cars and greyhound racing, it closed in 2016 and the assests (Seats & floodlights) Were removed following a dispute with the stadiums owner and the local council. The stadium has deteriorated rapidly since.

This visit shows it in an awful state, the metal fairies have removed all the cables to the floodlights, vandals have trashed most areas and the place is now virtually unsecured (Makes you wonder wether they are hoping arsonists do their stuff to pave the way for the housing application that is pending)

I have done a few visits here since the closure, the last time famously setting a remote alarm off and watching Mrs Trikey trying to scarper (She doesnt run very well :D) Explored this with the trusty hound which meant I couldnt access cartain areas due to a lot of broken glass.

I don't think I will be going back here as the place holds too many fond memories of watching the Bees during their heyday, and it saddens me to see the place like this now.

jOuYejth.jpg

EtwMomWh.jpg

0ZcMT2Fh.jpg

MiPPMWVh.jpg

NQemNVmh.jpg

loi8r8lh.jpg

tic6d6Fh.jpg

Mej0TNOh.jpg

6LBxTXvh.jpg

ZZEQK8yh.jpg

xEPSCTXh.jpg

jfkjlmIh.jpg

Mzpr6jJh.jpg

m9CqoVjh.jpg

YrTBVvhh.jpg

AIXCCS9h.jpg

CayqKcvh.jpg

avCst2hh.jpg

LLwO3o5h.jpg

UdvACtBh.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Shame it's so trashed, but you came away with some good shots. You had some great skies as well for external shots. Seems like they are shutting a lot of these stadiums now.

trikey

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Shame it's so trashed, but you came away with some good shots. You had some great skies as well for external shots. Seems like they are shutting a lot of these stadiums now.

Yes, as Mookster mentioned in another thread, Birmingham is now closed, seems oval racing in the UK is doomed.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Yes, as Mookster mentioned in another thread, Birmingham is now closed, seems oval racing in the UK is doomed.
I know mookster has said on FB before about stadiums shutting. Wonder why, is it lack off people going. Or something councils don't want.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There is a lot of angst from householders in new builds near stadiums, its not PC these days to have dangerous motorsport events, Greta does not approve :mad:
It seems the same for people who have bought a house near an airport. We have even had complaints from householders about the noise from the footballers on a Sunday morning on the pitches near there houses they have just bought ha ha.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
There is a lot of angst from householders in new builds near stadiums, its not PC these days to have dangerous motorsport events, Greta does not approve :mad:

It's mainly because in the case of inner city stadiums or those close to cities/arterial routes the land is far more valuable to developers as housing than as a sporting facility. There are now laws in place which prohibit people moving to areas and complaining about established venues making noise thankfully.

The case of Birmingham Wheels is a travesty of justice - the local council had to find the occupiers an alternate site but didn't and instead took their own charity, which leased the land, to court to get them to leave. Its not over yet as there will be many court battles ahead.

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The case of Birmingham Wheels is a travesty of justice - the local council had to find the occupiers an alternate site but didn't and instead took their own charity, which leased the land, to court to get them to leave. Its not over yet as there will be many court battles ahead.

I only went to Birmingham Wheels earlier this summer, first time back after CoC 2018... didn't even realise it'd closed again so that's pretty shit to hear!

Not a good time for oval racing in the midlands the past few years really.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
I only went to Birmingham Wheels earlier this summer, first time back after CoC 2018... didn't even realise it'd closed again so that's pretty shit to hear!

Not a good time for oval racing in the midlands the past few years really.

Yeah it's been a torrid time for the Midlands scene - one of the other contributing factors to Birmingham closing it's doors was the death of the official at an F1 stock car event a couple of years back, it brought in a raft of new safety obligations and other stuff which made it very difficult to run meetings properly.

Old Git

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yeah it's been a torrid time for the Midlands scene - one of the other contributing factors to Birmingham closing it's doors was the death of the official at an F1 stock car event a couple of years back, it brought in a raft of new safety obligations and other stuff which made it very difficult to run meetings properly.
St Day at Redruth now joining the list as you may know Mooks, to be replaced by a Gin distillery FFS. Good location for distribution eh, far end of Cornwall.

Who has read this thread (Total: 288) View details