Web
Analytics
Report - - Brantham British Xylonite Factory - September 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Brantham British Xylonite Factory - September 2015

mrstewie

28DL Member
28DL Member
#1
History
The British Xylonite Company had been established by English inventor Daniel Spill in 1877, with American investor Levi Parsons Merriam. It established factories at Hackney Wick and Homerton, in East London, and then expanded to Brooklands Farm near Brantham in 1887 and Hale End near Walthamstow in 1897.

By 1938 British Xylonite had established three subsidiaries - BX Plastics, Halex and Cascelloid. Halex was based in Highams Park, Hale End, in North London and made finished goods (including table tennis balls). Cascelloid, based in at Leicester and Coalville, made toys and had been acquired in 1931. Cascelloid was later renamed Palitoy and sold to General Mills in 1968 and then to Tonka 1987, which was acquired by Hasbro in 1991.

Distillers acquired a 50% interest in BX Plastics in 1939, and Distillers then acquired the rest of the British Xylonite group in 1961, merging it into a 50:50 joint venture with Union Carbide's Bakelite Company in 1962 to form Bakelite Xylonite in 1963. Distillers sold its 50% interest to BP in 1967, and Union Carbide's European interests were acquired by British Petroleum in 1978, including the remaining Bakelite Xylonite plants.

The Brantham site had been sold in 1966 to British Industrial Plastics, a subsidiary of Turner & Newall, who were in turn acquired Storey Brothers of Lancaster in 1977. The company became Wardle Storeys in 1984. The site finally closed in 2007.

The Explore

Went with @slayaaaa because we were really bored.

The Photos

The Entrance

22055222345_32f554d87e_b.jpg


21434087713_791d1d2165_b.jpg


21867052520_f58142b84a_b.jpg


21868536769_c43c976302_b.jpg


22055232385_86680f870b_b.jpg


Stairs

21868330789_e6a96944ae_b.jpg


21868332989_feb29fbb85_b.jpg


21434102223_407ca36ee0_b.jpg


And my favorite piece of graffiti

21867351518_a69a9bc780_b.jpg