real time web analytics
Report - - Bretby Stoneware, Klondyke Works, Newhall, Derbyshire - September 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bretby Stoneware, Klondyke Works, Newhall, Derbyshire - September 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

MotionlessMike

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The Klondyke Works of Bretby Brick & Stoneware Co were built in 1899 in the village of Newhall in South Derbyshire, only a few minutes from a cluster of other historic pottery works in Swadlincote such as TG Green, Tooth & Co, Sharpes and Mason Cash. From 1936 onward Bretby Stoneware’s pottery featured a mark on the underside with ‘Burton’ or ‘Burton Ware’ as until the early 1990’s Newhall was actually part of Burton-on-Trent in Staffordshire, not Derbyshire as it is now. After producing bricks, art-pottery and ceramic toiletware, the company seemed to focus on stoneware bowls for pets in its latter years and the works were finally closed in 1995.

I remember clocking this place years ago, but it was only recently while I was looking through Google images at pictures of bottle ovens (sad!) I remembered it and thought I’d take a look.

Solo visit on a roasting hot afternoon in September and then a revisit to get caked in clay with @raisinwing and @Humpa

Bottle oven looked in reasonable shape from the outside

The ground floor of the older part of the works featured quite a bit of old machinery that wouldn't have looked out of place in somewhere like Gladstone Pottery Museum

Belt drive system - probably something to do with slip casting

Upper floor of the Victorian bit - mostly piles of old moulds

An old pottery smock hanging over a work bench

The corner of this part of the works was full of finished product which have either toppled over on their own during the past 24 years or been given a helping hand

Over in another part of the pottery featured lots of benches and more moulds

An old potters wheel set into the side

Down in the depths - a room full of glazed & boxed product, all soggy now

:rolleyes:

A pair of electric kilns in one of the newer parts - the right hand one still stacked with kiln furniture

And finally back outside. Some bowls have managed to 'escape' and work their way partly up the clay bank

Thanks for looking.​

Attachments

• Eaton House, Leek - 26th September (1).jpg
    Eaton House, Leek - 26th September (1).jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 53

Baggy trousers

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I likes the look of that place! One of those pussy bowls was dug up on a local tip recently. Great report that, one I'd love to have a wander around.

Who has read this thread (Total: 220) View details