real time web analytics
Report - - Brett Aggregates North Sea Terminal, Cliffe - March 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brett Aggregates North Sea Terminal, Cliffe - March 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History:
Brett Aggregates was first established in 1909 by Robert Brett. Since it's opening 111 years ago, the company has gone on to operate 25 aggregates sites in the South-East, including Kent, Essex, Suffolk, Surrey, East Sussex, and parts of south and east London. It also operates two asphalt plants in Kent.
Brett set up a marine terminal in Cliffe, with a freight rail link into London, where half of its materials are transported too.
The site at Cliffe which Brett currently operate has previously been owned by numerous other companies, for example, In 1970 the site was taken over by Marinex Gravel, which used the location as a base for receiving gravel which had been dredged from the bed of the Thames nearby.
The freight line which serves Brett first began operating in 1961 when trains were initiated between Cliffe and Uddingston in Glasgow, back when the site was known as Portland Cement Works.

Brett Marine Aggregates Terminal - April 1988

The Explore:
After just a few days of the country being in lockdown, it seems the majority of establishments have seised operating, including the Brett Aggrogets site in Cliffe... ;)
It was in fact a close mate of mine who lives near to the site who gave me the heads up, after noticing the constant rumble of the long conveyor that runs out to the loading pier had stopped, along with the continuous flow of freight trains coming in and out of the site.
So, we took this rare opportunity to explore this classic piece of British industry, and what a great bit of industry it turned out to be. I'd often seen this place running in full vigour whenever I've wandered from Gravesend to Cliffe along the Saxon Shore Way, so it was just a bit surreal to see it so quiet, with all its stationary conveyors and inactive freight trains.
Once we'd made our way across from the footpath and hopped a few fences, we were in, and somewhat taken back by the sheer size of the place up close.
We must've spent over an hour just wandering around and photographing some of the surprisingly rusty machinery, before plucking up the courage to climb the main conveyor to capture a couple of sunset shots.
And so, after a little while longer rattling off a couple more shots, and my mate nearly losing his drone in the exceptionally heavy winds, it was time to call it a day.
Not exactly mission impossible to explore, but I'm highly doubtful the chance will come around again anytime soon to get into this one... well worth the trip :)

1. The Loading Pier Conveyor

3. The Main Tower

7. All Gravel Still Left

11. Sunset Over The Thames

12. Highest Point Of The Conveyor

14. Looking Across The Site

15. One Of The Stationary Freight Trains

~ Thanks For Looking ~

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice, Ive wandered that shoreline a few times, under one piece of equipment, always felt weird being so close to the site. Played hide and seek with a shovel dumpster lol, as I ventured onto live site one day lol. I wasn't even exploring. Nice to see the site like this :thumb

xtrmhiker

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great explore. Excellent pictures. It looks like you could almost flip a few switches and it would run again just like there was no interruption.

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice, Ive wandered that shoreline a few times, under one piece of equipment, always felt weird being so close to the site. Played hide and seek with a shovel dumpster lol, as I ventured onto live site one day lol. I wasn't even exploring. Nice to see the site like this :thumb
It's certainly a bit of a gem this one :) was very strange to see it so dead aha

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great explore. Excellent pictures. It looks like you could almost flip a few switches and it would run again just like there was no interruption.
Was a little temping to play with the buttons, probably just as well I didn't haha. Cheers mate

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
So off you go to meet a mate and no doubt travel for no real reason to explore.. excellent obeying of the lockdown rules..

And before you say anything, was you that sentme the link to this report after how much shit i gave you about ignoring the common sense guidelines ?

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
I was wondering how long we'd go before descending into Lockdown Wars. I think half a day is pretty good going!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I was wondering how long we'd go before descending into Lockdown Wars. I think half a day is pretty good going!
No wars just an opinion of someone who can manage to do as he's told.. i speak to the OP all the time ,he knows my views on his lack of giving a shit ;)

Five.Claws

General Nuisance
28DL Full Member
No wars just an opinion of someone who can manage to do as he's told.. i speak to the OP all the time ,he knows my views on his lack of giving a shit ;)
Well, that's probably fair then! We're all going to have quite conflicting opinions on this, as long as we can stay civil about it, really.

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Everyone else is staying safely inside and not taking unnecessary journeys, what makes you so special?

Who has read this thread (Total: 502) View details