real time web analytics
Report - - "Brewers Yard" limestone quarry / mine - Corsham area - June 2013 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - "Brewers Yard" limestone quarry / mine - Corsham area - June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Franconian

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
...just a few shots:

Didn't find a good history online and got no other sources, maybe added later
A Mr. Brewer seems to have been working there.
Entrance is not dedicated to brawny bellies, cases a bit of problems but a laugh for your comrades too.
( Or maybe not, expecting to spend their day getting you out of the hole )
Passing under a gate surrounded by people who are expecting you getting totally trapped is a special way of fun.
The way down is also a bit special, wear shoes with profile.
Got only a few shots and maybe not the best motives, but this was number one of four quarries on this day and we spent not too much time there.
I was still to confuse to find the good places that fast.
Crew:Oxygen Thief, PCWOX, Fazy UK, Altair and me.

I was asked to add some history, so I do:
"A very unique former Bath stone quarry, the quarry is small in size but has some interesting features. The quarry comprises of two levels which are connected by a stone staircase and a vertical shaft connecting both levels with the surface. There are many blocks of Ashlar which were stacked up but never moved to the surface....

A very steep and narrow slope shaft leads down in to the upper layer of the quarry. Once inside there is a narrow stone staircase which leads down in to the lower level of the quarry.
In the lower level many sawn blocks of Ashlar are stacked up but were never removed, this was possibly due to a collapse at a smaller shaft in the centre of the mine preventing the removal of the stone.

A shaft has been sunk from the surface down through both levels of the quarry, this would have been used to remove stone from both levels up to the surface. The shaft is now capped."
source: Brewers Yard Quarry, Corsham, Wiltshire | Nettleden.com

here we go:

Regard the wood up left in the corner, shows moving rock if cracked or fallen out, I was told
°1
P6222267_zpsa61c6d6d.jpg

°2
P6222264_zps70afc72b.jpg

°3
P6222269_zps30255f96.jpg

°4
P6222271_zps5eff330e.jpg

°5
P6222263_zpscbaf6aea.jpg

I must say, I am not anymore quite sure, but this should be a shot down the big shaft
°6
P6222273_zps5b368076.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Here's some shots I took while I was boring PCWOX to tears with some underground photography tips...

DSC_5274.jpg

DSC_5278.jpg

DSC_5284.jpg

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Re: "Brewers yard" quarry / June 2013

...The problems started already at entering when I had to dig me a bit more space with found around tools (wooden sticks), outways was more difficult then, why ever.
I had different tools in my car at the camp site, next time I know. A geologic hammer would have been enough for that place.
Was just a matter of centimeters, but to be honest, I am much too fat.

Don't know what you mean mate...

010.jpg

015.jpg