real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Bridewell Island Court Rooms, Bristol - April 2016 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Bridewell Island Court Rooms, Bristol - April 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
This was a nice way to end a productive week of exploring. I'd been meaning to get back here for litterally *years* - it was one of the first times I ever explored with anyone other than myself - meeting up with @Rookinella and @agk way back in the early days of 2008. I didn't take the greatest pictures those days (http://www.whateversleft.co.uk/other/bridewell-island) - there was so much to see back then I barely could take all in. This time I just went in for the courts. Sadly they are no where near the same as they were 8 years ago.. but the lobby is still rather nice if a little bit more decayed.

Bridewell Island was a large central complex that included a operational police station, the main headquarters for the police in Bristol, the crown courts for the city and also a fire station. It's been owned by Urban Splash for over 10 years now having paid about £15m for it but still haven't worked out what to do with it. It's used currently as art space, air soft, laser quest and a bar/cafe. The police station moved across the road to 'New Bridewell Island' which has subsequently be replaced with *another* new station adjacent. The crown courts moved further towards the centre and they too have since been demo'd and relocated as well.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The court rooms were last used about 1980. The police station closed mid 90's leading to the rest of the buildings being sold off.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Being sent down from the court room here was akin to being in a dungeon. Barely any light and rather limited facilities.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
That's amazing ! The bible quote is incredible, as is the rest of the place,

Wondeful placing of the exit sign over the top of it, mind..

Quote and a half. The new internation version of it is 'Woe to the city of blood, full of lies, full of plunder, never without victims!'

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Another Urban Splash failure then

Easily one of their best. I mean £15m.. and they've not got a scooby what to do with it. Subsidance one corner, flooding on another.. listed parts, not really convertable. I can see them quitely writing it off at some point.

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
On the face of it, it seems to be doing ok to say it's been closed for that long.