real time web analytics
Report - - Brierfield mill , from febuary 2015, permission visit . | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brierfield mill , from febuary 2015, permission visit .

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
Brierfield Mills stands on the east bank of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. It was established before 1844 as a steam-powered cotton mill but the buildings shown on the 1844 map, evidently a spinning mill and a weaving shed, were demolished when the site was rebuilt and substantially extended between 1868 and 1907. These new buildings survive and comprise a multi-storey spinning mill dated 1868 parallel to but set slightly back from the canal, an attached two-storey building, three weaving sheds, two freestanding east of the spinning mill and terraced into the valley side, and both of pre-1891 date, and one south of the spinning mill dated 1907, and offices. The buildings are all of squared stone rubble and steam powered. The 1968 spinning mill is four storeys high, 39 bays long, with a central engine and boiler house; it is of fireproof construction. The two weaving sheds to its east are single storeyed, the sheds with three-storeyed warehouse and yarn preparation blocks at their downhill ends. The south-east shed incorporates a stair tower surmounted by a later clock tower and is built up to a two storey range with a warehouse block formerly linked to the railway and a later Italianate office block. The south-east shed of 1907 is single-storeyed with its own corner engine house. The buildings survive in good condition although one of the weaving sheds is now just a facade with a modern interior. Listed.

THE EXPLORE
Bit of a strange one I knew it was derelict and is a massive old mill , the sheer size will leave you boggled any way I went down the front gate is wide open and theres good access so I walked in and a bloody Alsatian dog comes running up barking growling , I shit misen big time but it belongs to the guy who looks after the site there not security but an art group called in situ . The guy is the caretaker like I say and worked in the mill for years before its closure he said they get a lot of photographers coming down just help yourself let me know when your finished bonus.
So off I went four floors of old weaving sheds bay after bay where the looks would of been it took me three hours to lok mround the main part and its open all areas and I mean everywhere , the roof , the clock tower, down in the basement the corporate offices across in the next building if you do want to explore this great place id set aside a good four hours to see the lot

brierfeild 162.JPG
brierfield mill (4).JPG
brierfield mill (10).JPG
brierfield mill (17).JPG
brierfield mill (20).JPG
brierfield mill (27).JPG
brierfield mill (48).JPG
brierfield mill (50).JPG
brierfield mill (52).JPG
brierfield mill (60).JPG
brierfield mill (77).JPG
brierfield mill (58).JPG
brierfield mill (25).JPG
brierfield mill (74).JPG
brierfield mill (54).JPG

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report, i thought this was well under way with development ? did you get into the clock tower ?

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
Nice report, i thought this was well under way with development ? did you get into the clock tower ?
clock tower was accessable pal but he was reluctant to show me as it was a little unsafe up there im planning to take a few mates down soon tho might keep it for myself and just nip up when no one looking

Who has read this thread (Total: 3) View details