Web
Analytics
Report - - Brierfield Mills - Nelson (Dec 2012) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Brierfield Mills - Nelson (Dec 2012)

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
#1
After visiting some other derp in the area myself and Host called here at Brierfield Mills and managed to arrange permission, we were shown around the place by a very knowledgeable ex employee who was looking after the place and seemed very enthusiastic about the building and it's history. Whilst it's a big grand old mill there was not many original features or machinery etc left with the clock tower being the best bit, still nice to see inside though, permission or not, still an enjoyable couple of hours.

Brierfield Mills stands on the east bank of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, It was established before 1844 as a steam-powered cotton mill but the buildings shown on the 1844 map, evidently a spinning mill and a weaving shed, were demolished when the site was rebuilt and substantially extended between 1868 and 1907.

These new buildings survive and comprise a multi-storey spinning mill dated 1868 parallel to but set slightly back from the canal, an attached two-storey building, three weaving sheds, two freestanding east of the spinning mill and terraced into the valley side, and both of pre-1891 date, and one south of the spinning mill dated 1907, and offices. The buildings are all of squared stone rubble and steam powered. The 1968 spinning mill is four storeys high, 39 bays long, with a central engine and boiler house; it is of fireproof construction.

The two weaving sheds to its east are single storeyed, the sheds with three-storeyed warehouse and yarn preparation blocks at their downhill ends. The south-east shed incorporates a stair tower surmounted by a later clock tower and is built up to a two storey range with a warehouse block formerly linked to the railway and a later Italianate office block.
The south-east shed of 1907 is single-storeyed with its own corner engine house.


As far as i am aware the mill is now under redevelopment.

Pics ......

brier17r.jpg


brier20r.jpg
..
brier19r.jpg


brier18r.jpg


brier12r.jpg


brier13r.jpg
..
brier16r.jpg


brier14r.jpg


brier15r.jpg


brier11r.jpg


brier1r.jpg


brier2r.jpg


newbrier2r.jpg


brier4r.jpg


brier5r.jpg


brier8r.jpg


brier7r.jpg


brier9r.jpg


brier10r.jpg


Cheers for looking.​
 

Similar threads