real time web analytics
General - - Brierley Hill ROC | ROC Posts | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

General - Brierley Hill ROC

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

78AD

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes, Iv been in Ombersley thanks Seems my point has been lost, nevermind, as to people not from my area telling me what does and doesn't exist, even though they've never been, suppose I could write a book about Saturn as Iv seen a pic of it, I'm not doubting your lots enthusiasm on ROC, but please do not assume to know everything, the ROC that none of you have ever been too is partly what I was asking about, as I thought a lot of you might have info about it I asked on this forum, beneath Barrow hill where the ROC WAS located lies other chambers, a Small arms stock was stored there as well as firing ranges, not far from another storage at nearby Fens Pool Nature reserve, this was even before the ROC is listed as being built, I suppose people can't get a hold of local knowledge of areas and think they know everything just because there's a pic of a closed bunker on reddit, look, delete the post, it's clear I'm not gonna get the info I'm looking for and mainly I'm at fault for looking in the wrong place, thanks!

Shaun

28DL Regular User
28DL Full Member
Hi there, new member here, just read on here that Brierley Hill R.O.C succumbed to a housing estate, this is not the case, this was still in use after the houses were built as they are at he bottom of Barrow Hill and the bunker at the top near the cross, I believe there is much more to this particular bunker than meets the eye, no evidence is left of its existence, I remember the big green fence surrounding the hatch, now it's been conveniently covered in thorn bushes 200sm2 roughly, Iv been told it was ripped from the ground by a friend that lives in the nearby estate,been told it was filled in by another, also that it was fire damaged, no one seems to know exactly, it always attracted me as a child as I remember the army going up there in there Land Rover, not the usual ROC voluntary staff, I suggest people do a little more reading on the land it's built on being a volcano and the mysteries about it being linked to death, hidden treasure and stuff, it's in the middle of a hospital and church, where majority of tunnels are found(I.e wordsley, Stourbridge tunnels) and I believe much bigger than people think, heard some very interesting stuff and rumours about this place, if anyone has a common interest in this location please get in touch.
ive seen and heard my fair share of roc post and this is no different to any other one up and down the country there may have been a mine but they where noway connected.

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
So, the National Heritage Officer from the Royal Observer Corps Association has already given an initial response. (If you don’t know, the ROCA is made up primarily of those retired from the ROC. Have a read here http://www.roc-heritage.co.uk/association.html) Of the 1560 odd posts that were built, she’s not aware of any that were connected to mines, chambers or anything else, and says they were all the same. However, she’s aware of lots of rumours surrounding many posts and so has passed my enquiry on to one of the ROC (not army) staff who manned this station until it’s closure in 1991. I’ll keep you ….. posted. :coat

78AD

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yorrick could you please find out What year the ROC ceased manning this post also, as Iv read that many were taken over by the RAF, I know that jeeps used to go up to this post til at least 1995.

78AD

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I did read it, I was just asking a further question, as in 1991 I was 11 years old, I didnt venture up narrow hill til I was 12 with a friend I met at secondary school as it was virtually his back garden, Barrow hill is now virtually 5 minutes away from my house, I know this post DID NOT close in 1991 and that it was used for some years later.

Yorrick

28DL Full Member
I’ve just had a response from the ROCA -

“Dear XXX

I have looked at your query about the ROC Post at Brierley Hill. You are right about the post closing and being cleared in 1991 and it being demolished after a fire. This Post was sited at a superb location.

Also Brierley Hill would not have been operated by the Army. The only people who ever operated and were trained to man all of our Posts were the ROC.

I have attached a link to the SubBrit data base which contains more information about the Post. I am also a member of SubBrit and have asked a colleague who lives in the West Midlands if he has any more information. I will advise with this, if he has any.

Sorry, I cannot believe it was connected to any tunnel system. I have only heard of one ROC Post ever being connected to a tunnel. That Post was located on top of a famous building. This was Windsor Castle and it was really a room in one of the towers that led into a corridor (so not really a tunnel). It was a one off Post as it was not underground. However because of the strong stone construction it was well protected from fall-out!

YYYY– Heritage Team (ex Chief Observer)”

[Names withheld by Yorrick]

So, if the army were going up there in 1992, it wasn’t to man the ROC post. Maybe they were looking for treasure!

now it's been conveniently covered in thorn bushes

FYI Brambles and nettles do not need to be planted, they self-set and flourish wherever Man has disturbed the ground, say after a big concrete box gets demolished for instance.

just because there's a pic of a closed bunker on reddit

It;s not on Reddit. With information on nearly 1600 ROC posts and thousands of other places, SubBrit is the most extensive database of UK underground sites and with many ex ROC Officers it should not be dismissed lightly.

One more point. Every city, town, village, pub, church, manor house, smuggler’s cave and priest hole has local rumours about tunnels linking them to the town hall, asylum, morgue or treasure trove. I can only remember a handful that were supported by any evidence.

BTW, the link was the same as the one OT posted.

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sorry to dissapoint but all remaining ROC sites closed in 1991. Less than 10 remained open for seismic monitoring but this was not one of these locations. Whats the point asking for information and then refusing to accept facts?

78AD

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't seem to recall refusing to accept that it wasn't Krypton, thanks for the research and info Yorrick

Krypton

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't seem to recall refusing to accept that it wasn't Krypton, thanks for the research and info Yorrick

You obviously have a short memory then:

I know this post DID NOT close in 1991 and that it was used for some years later.

In case you're wondering, the part above is one of the places where you refuse to accept a fact.

78AD

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lol, as for that part Il rely on what I seen with my own eyes, as for the tunnels il accept, thanks anyway.

Yorrick

28DL Full Member

Move away from your keyboard for a minute and use your mouse to read your posts. Then wipe your chin, crack on and we'll have forgotten all about it by tomorrow.

You are more than welcome for the info. Always happy to help anytime mate.

Who has read this thread (Total: 193) View details