real time web analytics
Question - - Brighton Sewer Help | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Brighton Sewer Help

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SCW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After seeing some photos on here of 'Colossus of the South' me and a friend are really keen to visit. As this would be our first drain exploration, we don't really know where to start!

I'm trying to work out where to enter, manhole cover?, some kind of building?

One more thing on the map below they have added 'plugholes' what are these?

Here's the map I found : http://s770.photobucket.com/user/ojay1234/media/Other/Lower_COTS/Map.jpg.html

A few pointers in the right direction would be nice :)

Thanks

SCW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Also, any useful tips and tricks somebody who has previously visited COTS can give us?

-A friend

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Apologies, but someone we don't know isn't going to be handed access info out for these sites as you could in the first instance be quite literally anyone

Places like these carry a great risk, and especially this place as it can fill quick if the weather turns bad, as we once witnessed!

SCW

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Apologies, but someone we don't know isn't going to be handed access info out for these sites as you could in the first instance be quite literally anyone

Places like these carry a great risk, and especially this place as it can fill quick if the weather turns bad, as we once witnessed!

I can completely understand that, I guess we'll have to find out for ourselves.

Didn't realise this was the case, thanks anyway

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
We'll try our best, cheers.

And definitely check the weather ;)

Knowing the time, effort and general enthusiasm put in by the unknown person 'ojay1234' and also looking at the report again, it's possibly not a Sunday stroll :D

Stevedx

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If you contact Southern Water, they actually do a tour of some of the sewers

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
I wouldn't touch COTS until you've done a bit more draining/research into the system. Stunning piece of engineering, but not a beginner's drain by any means. Big flood schemes can fill in minutes and without warning, and especially in a system to which you don't know the modus operandi I'd say it's just not worth the risk. Get in some culverts, post some shots, meet with some people and get in on some simpler systems before you go playing in vast CSO's and flood schemes. I personally was exploring other types of site for a good year before I had a go at a few culverts and met some drain0rz, they were the people who taught me what the hell was what and I doubt I could have gained that kind of experience from anyone else.

At the very least understand how a system works before you venture far in. For example, The Motherload in Bristol loads instantly, its entire water intake controlled by a floodgate at the inlet. If you were to be in that tunnel when the gates opened, the first thing you would know about it would be the 15ft wall of water echoing down the tunnel for a few seconds before battering you the entire length of the drain to the outfall, 70m underground for most of the way. Cardiff's entire eastern system is controlled by an algorithm which uses different parts of the system for online storage which means that basically to a layman wanting to explore it any part could fill up at almost any point. Now I don't know COTS as a system personally but it is engineered on a similar scale- these places exist primarily as a water conduit, and aren't designed really for human leisure!