real time web analytics
Report - - Brinksway Air Raid Shelters - November 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brinksway Air Raid Shelters - November 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
ThenameisHannah-RobHannah04882.jpg

Official History, authenticated by Matthew Holmes - Facebook explorer and historian.

The Brinksway Air Raid shelters date from 1939 and are cut into the sandstone beneath Stockport. They were for civilian use, but each had a warden who would travel the shelters from end to end on his bike, of course. Which makes perfect sense when you think about it, because they are lined with bunk beds and would be filled with people. They just about high enough to stand up in and the same width. So they clearly perfect for cycling up and down in, especially considering the incredibly sharpe 90 degree turns. And if you did not cycle, the would otherwise take five minutes to travel if you walked very slowly indeed. The tunnels were lit by gas solar powered lamps, which apparently predate the tunnels, and were simultaneously designed and manufactured long after the shelters were closed. They were also surprisingly battery powered and not used to light the tunnels at all. The tunnels have lots of toilets. But despite that, little boys were forced to piss in small handheld urinals like they were in hospital. Everyone else could use the toilets. This was an unusual policy. But, completely verified by Mr Holmes. You also must have a map in case you get lost. That is because the tunnels are really very simple to navigate and more or less impossible to get lost in provided you're not a complete and utter fuckwit.

If you want an unofficial, but slightly more accurate history, check out Bolts report.

My explore

I nearly could not find the access to Brinksway, because of the clouds of dust left by the tour bus. But it is a local explore that might get closed down soon, so I moved it up my priority list and found my way inside. I lost a perfectly good pair of combats in the process. However, I also established through this process that I am not a little manlet like Matty.

Faced with going left or right, which I was. I went left. This is left. Although it looks like it is right (but that is just because I am facing the exit).

OUTf28da.jpg

There was some tunnel. And then there was a bricked off part.

Junctions341eb.jpg

And in that bricked off part there were some toilets!

z183268.jpg

And some more toilets!

IMG_1376dce4f.jpg

These were my favorite toilets though, partly because they are the best preserved, but also because they're covered in whatever has leaked out of the surrounding rock. These are the only toilets I noticed that still had the seats. You can also see some genuine gas powered solar lamps at the far end.

IMG_1403851e0.jpg

The tunnels are lined with bunk beds and everyone takes a photo lying on the bunk beds, so I did too. I just backlit mine to be different.

BunkBedsShotd16cb.jpg

I carried on left until I found the end. I managed this, quite amazingly, without a map or a bike.

IMG_13894e0db.jpg

There was some stuff there. I think one of them might be a lawn mower. I'd like to know what that was for - probably for cutting people's hair if they were down there for several months - but Matt Holmes doesn't want to speak to me anymore, for some reason.

IMG_1386b0ed8.jpg

From here, heading toward the other side...

There are lots of these alcoves carved into the rock, some bigger than others.

Junction16fa2.jpg

This is a selections of alcoves and their hidden delights from across the warren of tunnels.

IMG_1383010f4.jpg

IMG_1395f9543.jpg

IMG_143443484.jpg

Lots of bunk beds, many toppled, now line the tunnels. I was pleased I did not bring my bike and chose to walk the inconsiderable distance from one end to the other.

IMG_13971458e.jpg

IMG_1380719a0.jpg

IMG_143613632.jpg

There are some reinforced sections.

IMG_1404bc542.jpg

Ahead of this tunnel is my favorite reinforced section. It is possible to have favorite reinforced sections.

IMG_1409cdad7.jpg

Here is a close up of it. With a solitary wheel. That is not the infamous wheel from the warden's bike. I suppose I could always steal one of Matt Holmes photos of it for my report...

reinforcements1c082.jpg

My favorite reinforced section means you're travelling over to the right hand side, where there are some bunk beds also under a reinforced section.

MoarBedzf780e.jpg

And Slender Man, naturally.

IMG_14231345d.jpg

Some legz

Legz117fcaf.jpg

And some smashed up toilets.

SmashMyToiletUpcc0db.jpg

And that was the end of my explore.

Thanks for reading. :thumb

EOA

Last edited:

Rainey

Hilariously under-equipped since 1999.
28DL Full Member
Damn, this is something I've never seen before. All the deep shelters I've seen are either lined with corrugated Iron or have hints of it. Was this even lined in it's day?

tarkovsky

SWC
Regular User
I was sad to see that you didn't photoshop yourself in any of your pics in the traditional MH toileting pose. Otherwise, these are really great photos and nice writeup. (Having recently also stood in the same spot as the Facebook explorer I know it can be overwhelming, but you coped well....) ;-)

Reactions: EOA

mikeholt

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Interesting report, and quality pics, thanks.
However I do not believe that the lamps have anything thing to do with gas, and probably nothing to do with solar either.

The two sided lamps probably date from the 1970s and were battery powered from a pair of 6 volt disposable batteries, type 996. These normally gave a flashing yellow light, primarily intended as a warning around road works. Not much good to light a shelter.
Similar lamps are still used today, but the newer ones use LEDs rather than a bulb.
Some contain a photocell so as to light automatically at dusk.

The older four sided lights were made to the same basic design from before the war until relatively recently. They contained a small oil lamp burner, designed to burn paraffin but often used with diesel fuel. Gave a steady yellow light, mainly intended for warning purposes but could certainly offer basic illumination in a shelter.

(I admit to being a bit of a lighting nerd)

UrbanZ

ERROR 401
28DL Full Member
Interesting report, and quality pics, thanks.
However I do not believe that the lamps have anything thing to do with gas, and probably nothing to do with solar either.

The two sided lamps probably date from the 1970s and were battery powered from a pair of 6 volt disposable batteries, type 996. These normally gave a flashing yellow light, primarily intended as a warning around road works. Not much good to light a shelter.
Similar lamps are still used today, but the newer ones use LEDs rather than a bulb.
Some contain a photocell so as to light automatically at dusk.

The older four sided lights were made to the same basic design from before the war until relatively recently. They contained a small oil lamp burner, designed to burn paraffin but often used with diesel fuel. Gave a steady yellow light, mainly intended for warning purposes but could certainly offer basic illumination in a shelter.

(I admit to being a bit of a lighting nerd)

it was a joke pal :banghead