real time web analytics
Question - - Bristol Bunker? | Underground Sites | Page 2 | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Bristol Bunker?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

rigsby

Chatbox Mong
28DL Full Member
We did have a look at something like that a few years ago but I can't be sure it's the same entrance.
I seem to remember it being back filled and in a garden or car park for a building in the uni area not far from the hospital.

Joe Rock

28DL Member
28DL Member
As an ex - maintenance worker for the University, I can say that this entrance leads to under ground rooms ( located beneath Woodland Road ) used for telecommunications in WW2. ( as were quite a few of the buildings in Woodland Road, 19 and 21 especially.) Later used by the Post Office GPO telephones. In the late 70's there were still old fashioned switchboards in place. The rooms were later used for teaching purposes but this ceased due to fire regulations ( insufficient escape routes ). The rooms can also be accessed by another entrance in the cellars of No. 11 Woodland Road. I was last in there shortly before they were bricked up, badly flooded and used by youngsters.
There was also discovered an ARP room in the basement of No.8 ( The building adjacent to above mentioned bunker ) this was found intact containing many interesting items which sadly swiftly disappeared, great coats, gas masks, cardboard coffins and emergency plans Etc. which I was priveleged to see. There were even tea cups and a copy of the Daily Mirror from the war years on the table.
Not sure if anyone has mentioned the Anti Aircraft bunker in the front garden of 21 Woodland Road, you can still make out where a barrage ballon was tethered and for anyone interested in WW2 sites there is still evidence of Anti aircraft gun enplacements at the rear of the old Homoepatic Hospital, you can see the circular steel tracks that the guns traversed on.

satimal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I wondered past this yesterday and had a peek - it appears to have been filled in with concrete. The first google maps link was correct and you can see the entrance from the same angle as the third picture by moving around and looking at older street views until you get to here:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4...J4ldO-NOpM4TI_4TiWlw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

It looks like it still existed until at least June 2016 by street view though, so I'll wonder past later on and try getting a photo of it's current state.

satimal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Turns out I was wrong about it being filled in, don't know what I saw but I'll blame it on the dark :rolleyes:

It's still there is the place I saw it before at the link above, although the wooden board has been replaced by a metal grille and a lecture theatre has been built around it.

38898829362_30e3f7e2c7_k.jpg

38934841161_7835f0a5f4_k.jpg

38934840581_7da324e601_k.jpg

It's on Bristol University property so it might be possible to set up a permission visit. Anything else would be completely out of the question since Uni Security take things very very seriously.