real time web analytics
Report - - British Arkady Industrial Bakery,Old Trafford- January 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Arkady Industrial Bakery,Old Trafford- January 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I knew this place would be trashed from the first time i visited it. i had a few hours to spare so i decided to make a return and i suprised at the amount of things that were still standing from my first visit back in 2017. Some history on the place is included:

"The British Arkady Company Ltd. in which your Company has a substantial holding …". Adequate dividends appear to have been received from the company's shareholding throughout. In 1935, the "company extended its works" and in 1936 "a new mill for soya bean flour was put into operation".
Baker Perkins' shareholding was finally disposed of in 1953 for a sum "which exceeded the cost to the company by £113,338".
The Website of Bakemark, UK (Arkady/Craigmillar until 2004) gives the following account of its development:

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

The Ground Floor offices

IMG_1195.jpg
IMG_1122.jpg

spares and repairs storage room

IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1063.jpg

Whitworths

whi
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1048.jpg

Random machine in the Lab

IMG_1004.jpg

Control desk in the Lab

IMG_0769.jpg

Canteen

IMG_0796.jpg
IMG_0800.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg

Explosion Protection machines

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg
IMG_0889.jpg

Baker Perkins Annual Reports begin "The British Arkady Company Ltd. in which your Company has a substantial holding …". Adequate dividends appear to have been received from the company's shareholding throughout. In 1935, the "company extended its works" and in 1936 "a new mill for soya bean flour was put into operation".
Baker Perkins' shareholding was finally disposed of in 1953 for a sum "which exceeded the cost to the company by £113,338".
The Website of Bakemark, UK (Arkady/Craigmillar until 2004) gives the following account of its development:

The Ward Baking Co. of New York who owned a chain of bakeries throughout the United States couldn't understand why the bread they made was different in every town. The Mellon Institute of Industrial Research was sponsored by Ward to identify the reason why. This work revealed that the mineral salt content of the local waters was causing the variation and by creating a mixture of these minerals an improvement and standardisation of the bread could be achieved. The Mellon's director of research at the time was Dr Robert Kennedy Duncan -RKD- Arkady, and so a name and product was born.

1921 - In the UK Arkady yeast food began to be manufactured in Willesden, London.

1925 - British Arkady co. moved to Old Trafford, Manchester. These original buildings housed factory, offices, laboratory and test bakery facilities for the marketing of a single product, Arkady.

1929 - Increasing business led to a doubling in size of these premises. 1955 The company extended its bakery expertise to complete mixes for institutional and industrial canteens.

1967 - British Arkady acquired a substantial interest in the Tweedy group, famous for its high-speed mixer developed for the Chorleywood Bread Process.

1972 - 1996 - British Arkady, now part of ADM expands its markets across the UK and Ireland and into 21 other countries with a broader range of products including bread mixes, cake, pudding and pastry mixes.

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Still looks like it's in good condition aside from the ravages of nature. When I first went most of it still had power on inside but that was cut off a year later.

jgsmuzzy

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am afraid that this one can't be visited again. The nibbler has moved in.

Interesting to watch from work. All the computers are out now, and the large red scales on the top floor are being unceremoniously dropped by the machine from 4 stories up.

Attachments

• IMG_20190829_133635.jpg
    IMG_20190829_133635.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190829_142103.jpg
    IMG_20190829_142103.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20190829_142208.jpg
    IMG_20190829_142208.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 54

RJMmcr

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I am afraid that this one can't be visited again. The nibbler has moved in.

Interesting to watch from work. All the computers are out now, and the large red scales on the top floor are being unceremoniously dropped by the machine from 4 stories up.

such a decent little explore, i didn't think they would tear the place down though. may have to shoot over and get a few snaps

Who has read this thread (Total: 281) View details