real time web analytics
Report - - British Celanese - Derby - March 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Celanese - Derby - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Here's my first proper industrial site, a refreshing change from the usual manor houses and old red brick buildings that I'm usually drawn to.

After various discussions about the lack of decent sites in Birmingham and itching to find something new, Clebby and I decided to make an early morning visit to Derby to check out Celanese. Having parked up, we spent a good hour assessing the perimeter fence, trying to determine which parts were still live and whether we had been clocked by a chap driving around the site in a Land Rover. We assumed we hadn't or that he wasn't bothered by us....
Eventually we found our way inside (which highlighted my poor climbing skills), aiming to take as much of it in as we could, assuming we were going to be seen by secca or the multiple CCTV cameras around the place. After wandering around rather cautiously, the only time we were spotted was by 2 other explorers, who's forum names I didn't catch and we continued the rest of the explore with them (cool to meet you both and thanks for the ride back to my car :thumb)

For me it was difficult to take in the sheer size of the place, we think we only saw about 1/3 of it in about 6 hours. A hell of a lot of machinery to see, although it can get quite repetitive in some places if that's not your sort of thing. Surprised by the amount of lights left on, another reason why we thought it was only a matter of time before we got busted.

History taken from Wikipedia:

British Celanese was a chemical company based in England. Formed in 1916, it survived as an independent company until 1957 when it became a subsidiary of Courtaulds.

The origins of the company lie with two brothers, Henri and Camille Dreyfus. In 1912 they set up "Cellonit Gesellschaft Dreyfus and Co" in Basel, Switzerland. In 1916 the brothers were invited to live in Britain by the British Government, to produce their recently developed cellulose acetate dope for the war effort; the canvas skins of aircraft of the time were sealed and made taut with nitrocellulose dope, which was easily ignited by bullets. They developed the necessary plant and "British Cellulose and Chemical Manufacturing Co" was registered on March 18, 1916.
The British Government patented the process developed by Henri Dreyfus, which lowered the costs of acetic anhydride production, an important reagent in the production of cellulose acetate. At the end of World War I, the British Government cancelled all contracts and the company changed to produce acetate fibres. In 1923 the company name was changed to British Celanese Ltd, a contraction of cellulose and ease. Softer and stronger, as well as being cheaper to produce than other fabrics used at the time such as satin or taffeta, Celanese was used in the production of garments.
British Celanese was the first factory in Britain to produce propylene and from it isopropyl alcohol and acetone in 1942.
Clarifoil production developed out of cellulose acetate yarn technology. Clarifoil full-scale production commenced from 1947.
Henri Dreyfus died in 1944. Camille Dreyfus died in 1956.
In 1957, British Celanese was taken over by Courtaulds. The site is now operated by Celanese. The plant finally closed after the last shift on Wednesday 14th November 2012.

Here's a couple of external shots taken from the internet as I failed to get any except for the last shot.

_73254880_73254875_zps79e5a402.jpg

Bhd--qXCYAAI6r7jpg-medium_zps7d7ff864.jpg

Employee canteen

IMG_2773_zps876ab1f9.jpg

IMG_2783_zps027b7c2e.jpg

IMG_2787_zps1b97d6f8.jpg

IMG_2789_zps064811ea.jpg

IMG_2792_zps8d43a0d2.jpg

IMG_2798_zps878a9b0f.jpg

IMG_2801_zps1b8e479d.jpg

IMG_2812_zps50238811.jpg

IMG_2820_zpsfe9a8c56.jpg

IMG_2824_zps3443e87e.jpg

IMG_2826_zps688323f7.jpg

IMG_2828_zps092b9534.jpg

IMG_2833_zps72daa3af.jpg

IMG_2834_zps8f9cd4ff.jpg

IMG_2839_zpse2ed7e0c.jpg

IMG_2847_zpsb2a34429.jpg

IMG_2850_zps4f86ffeb.jpg

IMG_2851_zps7d175bd3.jpg

Not a bad view to end the day

IMG_2856_zps44f9e4c1.jpg

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
Surprised to see this up here so quickly, surely there's more left to see of it than that?

PopPunkJamie

Irregular User
28DL Full Member
Surprised to see this up here so quickly, surely there's more left to see of it than that?

Yeah there's a lot more to see, but I don't know when I'll be doing a return visit as I'm quite busy for the next few weeks so I'm just sharing what I've seen of it so far

Moose

My name is Jeff
28DL Full Member
Brilliant shots - looking forwards to seeing more, that machinery looks so complex! :D

dicky21

28DL Full Member
Never heard of this one either and just had a look on gmaps.... FUCKING massive! Hope to see some more of it pop up.

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
Like others I hadn't heard of this one either being such a distance. Looks good and look forward to seeing more. The first few photos here really do not show the scale of the place.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Folks should make the effort with this one. Stuff like this wont come up again for a long time. Like hicksons, coalite, and nylon spinners rolled into one, x 10...