real time web analytics
Report - - British Sugar, Bardney, Lincs, Day of the Snow 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Sugar, Bardney, Lincs, Day of the Snow 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Stolen from Dempseys report..
Like Most Sugar factories, Bardney was constructed in 1926, after the 1925 Sugar act. Unlike York though, Bardney didn't have much modernizing. From the start of its life, it recieved deliveries from the Railway, road, and canal. This new proccess of extracting sugar from beet was highly sought after. Bardney went on to produce sugar up until 2001, after Ipswich's closure in 1998 (Kidderminster was next to follow in 2002). Now the Railway lines have gone, the canal is silent, and its only the occasional truck which enters the site. The wagons for the packaging area at the front of the plant, and the odd drop off of slurry.

I've had my eye on the British Sugar complex that lumbers over the tiny village of Bardney for the best part of a year, but the distance involved between me & it made it difficult for me to reach it, eventually we cunjured up some other top sites in the area, and made a day of it.

Driving east, then south, I made it to Dempseys house, had a few hours kip, then back up again for a mad 90mph dash south on the A1(m) to catch sunrise from the top of the Iconic Clipstone Headstocks. After a few hours looning around in the mud & the sunshine we set off across industral *cough* I mean rural :eek: linconshire, to the regular sound of Dempsey or myself expleating 'wownded' at the top of our voices, this is to signify we've spotted an abondonment or some kind of industrial photograph worth taking.
EVENTUALLY we made it to Bardney, but not before stopping to pick up some Tea & cakes from a cafe, and we left behind a monumental trail of mud all over their brand new floor, again, sorry Linconshire :eek:

We parked up in the village just in time to catch this monumental dark cloud, sunray shining down on industrial madness type shot..
1)
DSCF1869.jpg

Then made our way in via what I can honestly say was the most convulutated, long winded, complicated, hysterical entry ever, bar none. Enjoyed it massively :)

Most of the pics are shot in Kodak Ektar on a £10 charity shop 35mm AF body & borrowed glass :thumb

2)
sugarmegacopy.jpg

this is 12shots on digi stitched together, net time to produce 1hour.

3)
__8_0065.jpg

this is 1shot on film, time to produce, 1/250th of a second :Not Worthy

4)
DSCF1982.jpg

the sun came out

5)
DSCF1878.jpg

In russia, shadows play with you!

6)
_29_0044.jpg

7)
vatsmax.jpg

after much snooping about, we ended up at the top of the complex, no idea what most of this stuff does (not familar with sugar beet process) but I liked the colours & filth left behind.

8)
regulationstation.jpg

this reminded me of Inverkip Oil fired power station.

9)
_25_0048.jpg

control room + flashgun + guess amount of shutter time = sucess! complete stab in the dark, and worked out OK.

10)
_28_0045.jpg

9 was the control room, or part of the control for this behemoth. I'm unsure whether its a Beet Slicer or a drier of some kind, either way, it was massive and used to rotate.
The snow had started to fall already, which was a nice contrast against rusty, rotton filthy, sweet sweet industrial ruins, BUT I was worried abotu getting home afterwards, later I would have to race to get across the Humber & then across the A66 before the gritters moved in.

11)
_15_0058.jpg

mmmm gauges

12)
_19_0054.jpg

again, no idea what these are, but I like the way tehy just pop up out of the floor

13)
_20_0053.jpg

14)
_22_0051.jpg

tekin a break, good film impressed me a lot, Ektar has a similar dynamic range to slide film, digital wouldn't touch this, it needed HDR to get close

15)
_23_0050.jpg

I R IN CONTROL

16)
DSCF2006.jpg

actual proof that snow did fall.

17)
DSCF1952.jpg

18)
__9_0064.jpg

then we moved outside. Bardney is more live than you'd think, even on a weekend lorries were still trundling around the site and unloading into the massive, no, infact, gargantuam silo's. Meanwhile all sorts of gear sprung into life in order to power the load of the bulk transporter up to the top of one of the silos'

19)
__3_0070.jpg

After a brief walkabout, decided to make for something high, this is the top of the kiln, which I can tell you now is the most dangerous structure I've ever had the displeasure of ascending. The whole floor of the top of the kiln is made from iron oxide & rotton plywood, you go thru, next stop is the food blender like blades some 100ft below :eek:

20)
__2_0071.jpg

19mm + break for sunshine in the black snow clouds = unusual idea for a pic.

21)
__7_0066.jpg

older part of the site to the right, newer packaging (confirm?) building for SIlver spoon to the left, and all manor of semi live inbetween.

22)
__1_0072.jpg

linconshire is so flat we could see the top of Lincoln Cathedral from this distance, some 20-22miles as the crow flies.

23)
__4_0069.jpg

then DISASTER

24)
DSCF2060.jpg

security arrives, complete with flashing orange light, quickly followed by a bulk transporter, which promptly began unloading into the silo, Great, we were trapped at the top, can't go down, don't want to stay up!
then it snowed some more, and some time passed,eventually we grew bored, and made a break for it, whether the tanker driver saw us, or was quietly sipping down some tetley in the portakabin we don't know. But we were free!

conti...

Brick_Man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
25)
_11_0062.jpg

kiln of impending doom, don't go there!

26)
__6_0067.jpg

silos' from up high

26)
_10_0063.jpg

down low

27)
_17_0056.jpg

Decrepid industry + rott + iron oxide + beet filth + snow = some kind of fantastic day out.

28)
_18_0055.jpg

last one, I promise, I just liked the sun on the pipes.

We made our way back out, past the truck driver, past the security man with his flashing orange light of power "secure the perimeter", that was the easy bit. Now I had 250miles northbound, thru ever increasing amounts of snowfall & 25mph gritters. I raced back over the penines flat out, I'd either make it, but with a speeding ticket, or die for sure in the snow drifts that closed the A66 just 90mins after I cleared it.

It had been a day!