real time web analytics
Report - - British Sugar, Bardney, September 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Sugar, Bardney, September 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
The Lincolnshire Beet Sugar Company

This place was unheard of for me until very recently when a very well produced report popped up here and instantly had me on a plan to pay a quick visit.

A Bit of History

Without trying to use history from previous reports of this site I couldn't find much online. Literally nothing, the only link which contained anything was via an image but the link was dead and lead me onto some random webpage containing nothing to do with this location. Eventually I found a few snippets which allowed me to stick something together.

The site was purchased in 1927 for around £6,000, constructed by the Dyer Co and Sir RobertMcAlpine&Sons with the Dyer Co taking control of the factory's design, opening as the Lincolnshire Beet Sugar Company.
The structure's purpose was to process sugar beet. The process was undertaken by slicing up the sugar beet, adding it to hot water to extract the sugar itself before the remaining syrup is filtered, mixed with smaller sugar crystals and then dried in an instrument similar to that of a cement kiln.
The raw beet was first delivered by rail from local farms with about 40 wagons arriving each day from areas such as Boston (Lincs), the railway also acted as a means to transport employees to the site in the mornings. In 1936 the site became part of the British Sugar Corporation Ltd (Later known as British Sugar Ltd in 1982) The site's railway access was cut off around 1970 following the closure of the station and line leading to the plant the diesel shunting locomotive located on the works, having previously replaced a smaller steam locomotive, was moved to the Nene Valley Railway in 1975. The site survived this closure and continued on before being sold to the Associated British Foods Company in 1990. By 2001 the majority of the plant was due for closure with some areas remaining in use such as for packaging. Since then it sat derelict and remained forgotten until demolition work began around 2019.

The main source for this info: https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/hudswell-clarke-works-no-1604-no-4-0-6-0st/

The Visit
With the country starting to return to normality after lockdown, due to work, it had been a while since I'd last got out. First on the list was this. Initially having no clue how to do this place a good walk around as well as some patience got us inside.
Due to the nature of the building's current state I have missed the ground floor of this explore to avoid exposure from being spotted by security teams and such.

Walking up we are greeted by numerous switched and a little control panel.

Around there corner where a series of machines which I believe are beet slicers?

Little control panel behind them

Washing machines?

Moving upstairs was a maze of pipes and I assume boilers?

Next up was the laboratory.

A locker with something to say.

The glass blocks on one side provided some brilliant lighting.

With the morning continuing on it was best to start getting things done a little quicker so that workers didn't turn up before our departure. I packed the tripod away and grabbed a few areas of interest on the way out handheld.

Thankfully we had sped up on getting things done as quite a few people turned up the moment just as I had clambered out of the building.

That should be everything I have, apologies if it isn't the most comprehensive report possible.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nothing to apologise about with that report. Really great effort.

Amazing how this place has popped back up after years of being forgotten about.

Doesn't sound like it'll be around for much longer mind...

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
Nothing to apologise about with that report. Really great effort.

Amazing how this place has popped back up after years of being forgotten about.

Doesn't sound like it'll be around for much longer mind...
Thanks.

I did forget to mention there was an entire section which is wrapped in plastic for asbestos removal. Also if you note the previous report from August the dryers have been demolished now.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Thanks, I'm still surprised my info all came from a steam locomotive preservation group admitently.
Doesn't matter where it comes from, if correct its all good and shows you really bothered to research in order to find that site. Kudos. :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 213) View details