real time web analytics
Report - - British Sugar, Ipswich - 20\9\06 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Sugar, Ipswich - 20\9\06

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Wow is all i can say! this place is fantastic.

After my solo visit last month i returned to the BSC with Dab. We started off with a walk around the outside looking for somewhere to get in and generally taking in the immense scale of the place! - no security on a sunday!:rolleyes:

After an hour or so of checking out outbuildings, substations and huge tanks we found a way into a loading bay of some description, it was bit strange as it was about 3 times as tall as any lorry but it did have a little lab/office thing attached which contained some interesting stuff.

BSC5.jpg

The loading bay

BSC4.jpg

Sink in a lab/office

BSC3.jpg

Full of sugar samples!

BSC2.jpg

Substation we saw about 10 of these, some were still humming!

BSC11.jpg

Tanks once contained some very nasty chemicals!

BSC7.jpg

Filler

BSC9.jpg

We spotted several of these lookout towers, seemed like they would be more at home on a pow camp

BSC8.jpg

Chair hiding

BSC6.jpg

Silo!

The loading bay was a good start but we still needed to find a way into one of the large buildings. I must say they have made a petty good job of keeping people out (and in!) Persistence paid off however and we entered one of the larger buildings next to the chimney, it was used for producing animal feed. (Looks like it was used as a dumping ground too)

BSC10.jpg

No getting in this door!

BSC17.jpg

Chairs!

BSC12.jpg

Lack of roof in places causes this!

BSC16.jpg

Turbo vac

BSC20.jpg

Chairs again

BSC14.jpg

Large hopper thing, hanging rack suggests kids have been having a bit of fun in this area.

BSC15.jpg

We left our mark several times thought the day but the only graffiti I saw was from the ex workers.

BSC18.jpg

BSC19.jpg

Conveyors, bigger than they look

BSC22.jpg

Windowed room along one side

BSC24.jpg

They weren’t thin!

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Re: British Sugar Ipswich 20-9-06 - Full REPORT!

After a While of poking about through the junk and climbing all the various ladders we moved on to the next building. Access was simpler this time but it did involve me nearly slitting my wrists on a broken window. It was proper dark in some of this building so my pics are a bit shite needless to say it was absolutely mental, floor upon floor of metal mesh gantry, giant ovens and hoppers and the view from the roof was magnificent!

DSC00707.jpg

A don’t look down kind of building!

DSC00722.jpg

The bottom of 2 large hoppers, at least 5 storeys high

DSC00690.jpg

View from the very top of the hopper things

DSC00691.jpg

They look so small from up here!

DSC00695.jpg

Cracking view of Ipswich

BSC33.jpg

Were we being watched! I doubt it :D

BSC.jpg

Thing!

DSC00735.jpg

Progressing on from the roof and hoppers we came across this, Pics don’t show the true scale, it’s about 4 storeys high!

DSC00750.jpg

panoramic

DSC00739.jpg

Lead to some external gantries next to the chimney

DSC00745.jpg

DSC00747.jpg

View from the gantries

DSC00755.jpg

Looks like this section was coal fired

DSC00780.jpg

Its those tanks again!

DSC00729.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

Also in this area we found an awesome little group of rooms protected by this halon extinguisher system. I think they contained some computers or some thing but they were locked down tight and super well preserved, there was a room layed out like a board room, big long table with comfy chairs. It looked like as if the factory closed yesterday!

After exploring some areas that appeared to be being use by a demolition crew fairly recently, (lockers full of brand new equipment and loads of tools) We got spooked by strange noises (the wind :P) a few times so moved on, that area seemed very strange to me, its as if the demo crew just upped an left leaving all their stuff behind! It was pitch black so no photos im afrade

We carried on into a smaller area of workshops, looked like a tool room or something containing a few out of date bits of machinery

BSC31.jpg

Entry stupidly easy, im not sure how they thought that would stop you opening the door

BSC28.jpg

Poster

BSC29.jpg

List of names on the wall??

BSC27.jpg

Obsolete

BSC26.jpg

Bit harsh on Tim tbh!

BSC30.jpg

Old skool Notice

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Re: British Sugar Ipswich 20-9-06 - Full REPORT!

By this time we had been there for about 5 hours and had only seen about 25%! We took a walk around to the front of the site. Sadly couldn’t find a way into the silos but Dab found a door hidden inside a substation that took us into the actual sugar production area. It’s like a labyrinth in there, after climbing a ladder about 5 storeys high we were able to make our way through one floor the sugar production area and loads of offices. We stayed away from the more modern front of the factory as the power was still on, instead we checked out the engineering stores and social club (which strangely consisted of about 4 offices and shower??)

DSC00762.jpg

Front of the factory, lights were on but no one at home

DSC00761.jpg

Medical centre front

DSC00765.jpg

Medical centre rear entrance!

DSC00766.jpg

Door to nothing

DSC00781.jpg

The door to nothingness from the inside

DSC00772.jpg

no caption necessary

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

Automatic doors took you trough into a large foyer, on one side was a room containing display samples of silverspoon products (BSC sister company) best before 1999 on most things

BSC1.jpg

Light at the end of the tunnel, with spikes!

Boy that was a long report! Hopefully Dabs pics will fill in some of the gaps