real time web analytics
Report - - British Sugar - Ipswich - May 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Sugar - Ipswich - May 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Sunny100

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
History
The Ipswich factory - one of the rash of beet producing plants to be built after the First World War, encouraged by the 1925 Sugar Industry (Subsidy) Act - was built in 1924-25 by the Anglo-Dutch Sugar Company on a 100-acre site. The main contractors were Hal Williams and Co. Much of the original machinery was second-hand, dismantled from a factory in Holland and shipped to Felixstowe. The Anglo-Dutch group was the largest of five which built factories in the 1920s; the Company also had factories in Cantley (Norfolk), Kelham (Nottinghamshire), Ely and King's Lynn. Initially the management was Dutch. In 1936 the British Sugar Corporation was formed, and this and other factories were absorbed.
The site closed in 2001 and has been slowly demolished ever since.

The Explore
This place is pretty desolate and has been done a hundred times before, but it's pretty local for me and only just got the chance to go last week. Visited here with a mate, was a decent mooch even if we didn't get the chance to climb the silos.
No sign of any security, easy to get into, we looked around for a good couple hours with no bother.

On the way in, walking across the wet, soggy, stinging nettle jungle.
DSCF0567.JPG

Apologies for the rain droplets.
DSCF0571.JPG

1/3rd of the way up
DSCF0579.JPG

Fucking hate wasps..
DSCF0585.JPG

The drill hanging out of the wall fascinated me.
DSCF0589.JPG

DSCF0592.JPG

Cheers to who ever put that drum there with the barrel next to it!
DSCF0598.JPG

DSCF0591.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCF0568.JPG
    DSCF0568.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 227

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
I thought these were long gone.
The drill hanging out of the wall fascinated me.
Not a drill, an Archimedes screw. It would originally have been encased in a pipe and is used for lifting liquids, powders or granules. Normally you just see a pipe with a motor at the bottom.

Sunny100

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I thought these were long gone.

Not a drill, an Archimedes screw. It would originally have been encased in a pipe and is used for lifting liquids, powders or granules. Normally you just see a pipe with a motor at the bottom.
Cheers for the info mate, I'm impressed by your knowledge of Archimedes screws!

The Shepshed Diamondback

Slithering down a drain near you
28DL Full Member
Thanks a lot mate, any tips are welcome.
Visit as many different types of places till you find what like to explore. I personally love underground stuff as there's no feeling like being underneath the ground and people above having no idea someone Is underneath them.

Sunny100

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visit as many different types of places till you find what like to explore. I personally love underground stuff as there's no feeling like being underneath the ground and people above having no idea someone Is underneath them.
Hmm I'll bear that in mind! I know what you mean, my first underground one would have been bawdsey rotor bunker, the idea of something like that being hidden underneath us is crazy, who knows what else there is out there?