real time web analytics
Report - - British Xylonite, Manningtree / Brantham Essex, July 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - British Xylonite, Manningtree / Brantham Essex, July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

slwx

28DL Member
28DL Member
First explore! I've seen this place a lot on the train to Ipswich, and it was nice to see it up closer. Visited solo.

Getting in was easy enough, and no sign of any security. Some buildings on that industrial estate are still active and have cameras on them, but the ones I saw were only looking down the sides of the buildings they were on, and not out over the abandoned area.

A little bit of history, courtesy of another report on here... Borrowed from an earlier report on this site. I couldn't find much on Google that wasn't from here!

The British Xylonite Company could justifiably claim to be the first British firm successfully to manufacture a plastic material in commercial quantities. Xylonite, better known by its American equivalent of 'celluloid', was invented by Alexander Parkes and first displayed in 1862 under the name of 'Parkesine'. Derived from the nitro-cellulose and collodion processes, it was initially used for making domestic articles in substitution for wood, horn, ivory or tortoiseshell. Its subsequent development was closely associated with Hackney, being taken up by Daniel Spill, rubber manufacturer, in 1864 and later by the Xylonite Company at Hackney Wick and the 'Ivoride' Works at Homerton High Street. The founders of the British Xylonite Company, Levi Parsons Merriam and his son Charles, established in 1875 a small business to make combs, imitation jewellery etc. next door to the 'Ivoride' Works; the two works merged in 1879.

The original site being small and unsuitable, it was decided in 1887 to buy land at Brantham on the Suffolk bank of the River Stour and erect a purpose-built factory; finished goods continued to be made at Homerton until 1897 when a new factory was built at Hale End near Walthamstow (its products going by the trade name of 'Halex') which also housed the head office. Other types of plastics were introduced, and in 1938 the British Xylonite Company became a holding company with three subsidiaries: B.X. Plastics making xylonite and lactoid; Halex Ltd. making finished goods, and Cascelloid Ltd. making toys and bottles at Leicester and Coalville. The Distillers Company took a half-interest in 1939 and bought the entire Group in 1961, but in 1963 it formed part of a new grouping called Bakelite Xylonite Ltd. established jointly with Union Carbide, and including plants at Birmingham, Aycliffe and Grangemouth.

Several sales and mergers took place in the 1960s and 1970s, the most significant being the sale of the Brantham and Aycliffe sites in 1966 to British Industrial Plastics, a subsidiary of Turner and Newall Ltd., who were in turn purchased in 1977 by Storey Brothers of Lancaster, formerly a major commercial rival. The Brantham site now operates under the name of Wardle Storeys and until recently manufactured limited quantities of xylonite using traditional processes and equipment.

I didn't go into all the buildings. I must have entered the wrong ones, as I didn't find much in the way of paperwork or stuff. Pretty much all debris and charred remains. I'm pretty sure someone else was creeping around there as well...

Now for the photos! I apologise in advance for all the fisheye, the lens arrived about 20 mins before I left, and I got a bit carried away...

Although all these photos are dated last year, they were taken recently, haven't set the date correctly on my camera as a friend pointed out to me :(

Thanks for looking!

_MG_0187.jpg

_MG_0189-2.jpg

_MG_0195.jpg

_MG_0197.jpg

_MG_0198.jpg

_MG_0204.jpg

_MG_0208.jpg

_MG_0219.jpg

_MG_0222.jpg

_MG_0225.jpg

_MG_0232.jpg