real time web analytics
Report - - Broadwood Quarry, Frosterley, July 2014 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Broadwood Quarry, Frosterley, July 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Continuing a mini-tour around Weardale, I wasn’t sure whether to post this up at first, due to it being part-live and the fact that we couldn’t get into a few of the buildings where I wanted to be.. that as well as the ‘very vocal’ tannoys under the PIR’s we tripped was enough to send security on their patrols trying to seek us out.

What followed was hiding in a tiny outhouse (partly from the torrential downpour as well as security) in which there was very little to see and thus ensued the most boring game of “I-spy†in history to pass the time considering we didn’t really KNOW what most of the rubbish piled there was …
“Er….. I spy something beginning with ‘T’…..â€
“um…. that ‘Thing’....over there ?â€
“yup…... your turn..â€

But after looking through the limited pics, I still quite like it and may even do a revisit as Im back that way again soon… Visited with the usual partners in crime, Dave and Sed. Cheers guys, despite the downpour, was still a great mooch and as always, in great company.

Limestone has been quarried from the valley sides around Frosterley since the 12th
century but it was in the 1800s that the village became an important centre for
limestone quarrying. Limestone has many uses - as a roadstone, agricultural lime, for
flux in the iron and steel industry and for cement.
A special type of limestone is found in Frosterley; this fossil-rich stone, known as
Frosterley marble, can be polished to a high shine. Technically, it is not a proper marble.
Marble is formed when limestone is heated or subjected to pressure (or both) which
causes it to recrystallize into marble. This limestone has not been altered in this way. It
is the white fossils, from a tropical seabed of 325 million years ago, encapsulated
within the dark grained limestone which make this such a decorative stone.
The most famous use of Frosterley marble is in Durham Cathedral. Here, the ceiling of
the Chapel of the Nine Altars is supported by slender columns of this unusual stone.
The columns would have been roughly cut, possibly from the Bollihope Burn river bed,
then transported to the cathedral building site. Here, industrious Norman monks would
have begun the laborious process of polishing, using blocks of sandstone lubricated
with water and leather cloths impregnated with fine sand and silt, to bring the stone
to a smooth decorative finish.
Broadwood Quarry still quarries Frosterley marble today.

Broadwood020_zps11f61f65.jpg

Broadwood001_zps2fcbd5c7.jpg

Broadwood003_zpsf2e22724.jpg

Broadwood004_zpsd7446c16.jpg

Broadwood006_zps9d121e5f.jpg

Broadwood032_zpsb241c56a.jpg

Broadwood031_zpse12a1cba.jpg

Broadwood026_zpsf09ef325.jpg

Broadwood019_zpsc58a7cf4.jpg

Broadwood015_zps7e0e8d19.jpg

Broadwood012_zpsb06a737a.jpg

Broadwood009_zps05a67f91.jpg

Broadwood005_zps67aea048.jpg

Broadwood008_zps1c649504.jpg

Cat.

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not bad at all Cat pics are great. Pity about the downpour and secca prowling. You and Sed looked like drowned rats while i was nice and dry waiting in your car.

AJ

AJ
28DL Full Member
I see the place hasn't changed much since I was there in 2009. They did however still have the power and radiators working back then. You'll have to see if the trams are still locked away.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
You'll have to see if the trams are still locked away.

thats what i was searching for :)

Im back in the vicinity soon though for something else, so i will definitely be having another look about

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Not bad at all Cat pics are great. Pity about the downpour and secca prowling. You and Sed looked like drowned rats while i was nice and dry waiting in your car.

yes, you certainly decided to leave at the right time! we got absolutely drenched! Im still glad i went back for a further try into the other buildings though :)

AJ

AJ
28DL Full Member
You'll locate the shed quite easily and you can avoid all of the security precautions in finding it. Do add the photographs if it's still accessible, I'd like to see them again. The only part of the site we weren't able to access were the offices at the front - all of the doors were locked tight four years ago.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
You'll locate the shed quite easily and you can avoid all of the security precautions in finding it. Do add the photographs if it's still accessible, I'd like to see them again. The only part of the site we weren't able to access were the offices at the front - all of the doors were locked tight four years ago.

ahhh.... after "google earthing" it again, im starting to realise where you mean... :)
Will definitely post photos and try for the offices when i am back there (which wont be for a while yet, due to work) but thanks for that :thumb

its a nice place to wander in, but my goodness.... not an ideal place in torrential downpour! :D