Web
Analytics
Report - - Brock Mill - Wigan - Feb 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Brock Mill - Wigan - Feb 2017

The Excursionists

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
#1
Brock Mill first began operations around the mid 1700's and was further expanded when The Earl of Balcarres bought the mill and built a furnace at Haigh Foundry, which was half a mile downstream. The iron smelting business didn't thrive and furnaces at Haigh were given up as well as work at the forge at Brock Mill. However, the two sites began to prosper and build fire engines. At this time Robert Daglish was appointed as chief engineer in 1804. From 1812 to 1835 Daglish helped build the first locomotive for Lancashire (1812) and the foundry became skilled at casting large steam cylinders as the forge wrought the parts which couldn't be cast. In 1835 The Earl leased the business for 21 years to Messrs Evans & Ryley, soon to be joined by a Mr Burrows. They re-entered the locomotives business and built around 110-120 locomotives. However, locomotives were only part of the business. Haigh Foundry was producing swing iron bridges and dock ironwork for Liverpool and Hull and large steam engines for coal and metal mines. The even attempted iron architectural work. After the 21 year lease had run out, the three men were getting old and didn't renew the lease. Instead, Messrs Birley & Thompson saw the opportunity at hand and took another 21 year lease. Within this time, Haigh Foundry was concentrating on winding engines but had also expanded into brick and tile making and continued to build locomotives that tendered for the Festiniog Railway’s ‘Prince’ class. By the late 1870s, the market was less buoyant and the depression of the early 1880s hit Haigh hard. The lease was given up and the works closed in January 1885.

More recently, the remaining buildings were used for producing herbal medicine with evidence showing so, scattered throughout the building. There is no date to be found as to when medicine production stopped here but from what we found inside it seemed to be around 2006/7. Next to the site of Brock Mill is an operational iron foundry, (J.T. & E Castings) which has been working since 2010.

Our Visit was extremely relaxed, we were able to walk around the site with ease and see almost every building on the site. We all thought it was worth a wander around to see it, especially being near at the time.

DSC_0007_zps1kq11ofb.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsj6ls6jxw.jpg

DSC_0066_zpss4kfdou6.jpg

DSC_0068_zpstrx9d3an.jpg

DSC_0013_zps7o24hmyu.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsf4fuh1at.jpg

DSC_0022_zps4uwyksfd.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsic7h9vrf.jpg

DSC_0023_zpszjobpvyp.jpg

DSC_0025_zpshlrmrido.jpg

DSC_0035_zpswzoigts9.jpg

DSC_0044_zpsnkoqtygm.jpg

DSC_0046_zpswqph2ven.jpg

DSC_0037_zpsfox3gorp.jpg

DSC_0039_zpso8hxmjyu.jpg

DSC_0042_zpswdo2nlfw.jpg

DSC_0048_zpsah9rp2uw.jpg

DSC_0057_zps56ifguz6.jpg

DSC_0060_zpsv50t8lds.jpg

DSC_0062_zpsb6y5i2io.jpg

Someone's had a lot of fun here...
DSC_0009_zpsgv6r1fx4.jpg


Thanks for reading!​
 

Similar threads