Web
Analytics
Report - - Brogyntyn Farm / Mill - Oct 19 | Residential Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brogyntyn Farm / Mill - Oct 19

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Really cant tell you much about this place other than the main house is still occupied & this was obviously a water mill at some time.
Not sure what it was used for, there are no mill wheels left, just a lot of pulley wheels etc.
Any history on this one apreciated.

I assume this was originally the waterway but there is no sign of a wheel now

The barns are large spaces being used for a small amount of storage & not much else but seem in good condition

On the higher levels there is large loading doors & more pulleys

Just when we though we were done this delight was thrown up.
Nestled next to a small lake I can only assume this was a pump house or something, despite the decay it was quite beautiful.

Thanks for looking

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
As far as I remember the bit with the machinery was a saw mill, although not marked as such on maps (the historicengland site is down so can't check).

Can't quite see from maps how water power would have worked though, unless the leat was underground.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Brogyntyn Home Farm has the look of a 'model farm'. I'd guess late 1800s and almost certainly not powered by water. The extensive line-shafting supports the idea of a wide variety of machinery in use.
Ther would certainly be insufficient fall for a significant wheel and you'd expect to see a leat or at least a penstock , and a tail race.

The Historic England listing may have some info but failing that the Harlech Family papers are in the Weslh National Library ...though no doubt off limits at the moment.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Brogyntyn Home Farm has the look of a 'model farm'. I'd guess late 1800s and almost certainly not powered by water. The extensive line-shafting supports the idea of a wide variety of machinery in use.
Ther would certainly be insufficient fall for a significant wheel and you'd expect to see a leat or at least a penstock , and a tail race.

The Historic England listing may have some info but failing that the Harlech Family papers are in the Weslh National Library ...though no doubt off limits at the moment.

Cool thanks for the info guys

tigger

mog
Regular User
What a day...everyone waffling about all sorts oc cack and then BAM! three mills from you and UC. Farm mills are generally less well recorded as they are often less obviously 'mills' when seen from outside. Many wealthy landowners built 'model farms'. These were meant to show the best in modern thinking of agricultural practice (rather than being a little copy of something!) and in many ways more like small scale industrial complexes.

Given the amount of work going on at the Hall site over the past couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if this gets converted before too long.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
What a day...everyone waffling about all sorts oc cack and then BAM! three mills from you and UC. Farm mills are generally less well recorded as they are often less obviously 'mills' when seen from outside. Many wealthy landowners built 'model farms'. These were meant to show the best in modern thinking of agricultural practice (rather than being a little copy of something!) and in many ways more like small scale industrial complexes.

Given the amount of work going on at the Hall site over the past couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if this gets converted before too long.
A long list of backlogged reports coming through this quiet time I think lol

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice explore, some really nice features there. That little structure with the weathervane is really cool. Like this. Its a shame these mills are less documented. Ive had a look about briefly, but all I found was a small piece that stated the farm buildings outdated some bits of the whole site.