Report - Brogyntyn Hall, Shropshire - October 2016

  • Welcome to - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Jun 4, 2016
It was a residence of members of the princely dynasty of the Welsh kingdom of Powysand one of the taî'ruchelwyr(houses of the gentry) in late medieval Wales.
It subsequently came into the possession of the Ormsby-Gorefamily (Lord Harlech). Its English correspondent is sometimes given as Porkington. A manuscript known to have been in the possession of Brogyntyn in 1574 was a copy of the Hanes Gruf(f)udd ab Cynan.
The house itself is of brick dating from circa 1730 refaced and much added to between 1813–20 by the architect Benjamin Gummow.
It is noted for a portico of four giant unfluted Ionic columns with scrolls and pediment. Outside can be seen an arch with 2 pairs of unfluted Ionic columns. In the entrance hall survives an elaborately carved fireplace dated 1617.

Our Visit
Since many people have been here, we decided to take a trip their our selves. As we approached the site, we saw three other urban explorers that told us they had triggered sensors on previous visits. They had also triggered one of the sensors when we encountered them. Before gaining access we had to wait for the alarm to reset. Access to the building was quite difficult due to climbing being involved. While inside we found out for ourselves that the sensors in the main build didn't seem to be working. The building has a source of power going into it because most of the ground floor lights were functional. We did not get a chance to take pictures of the basement and outside because of time and the weather was not pleasant. Overall, the explore was well worth the 2 hour drive.












28DL Member
28DL Member
Dec 5, 2016
Nice pictures - Visited this location over the weekend, there was evidence of groundworks going on outside the building and the perimeter was fenced, still OK to get into though!
Likes: BrotherHood


28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Mar 19, 2015
Part ? demolition started - just Google brogyntyn hall demolition should come up as first article (not sure if copy/links allowed)
Walked past yesterday, massive amount of scaffolding. Looks like a lot of improvements to lake and grounds, lots of new trees planted. Public Footpath has been diverted through woods, but probably an improvement on old route. Seems a shame, must have been grand 100 years ago.

Similar threads