Web
Analytics
Report - - Broomhill Hospital - Kirkintilloch - July 2009 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Broomhill Hospital - Kirkintilloch - July 2009



J

Jonno

Guest
Guest
#1
A large mansion Broomhill House was built north of Kilsyth Road during the 19th century and was converted into Broomhill Hospital (with extentions) in 1875.This was achieved by a Beatrce Clugston along with others who formed the Glasgow and West of Scotland association for the Relief of Incurables.
IMG001Small.jpg


IMG003Medium.jpg


IMG004Small.jpg


IMG005Medium.jpg


The original 62 bed hospital was enlarged in 1884 to 115 beds, it was founded to be \"for the gratuitous relief of deserving persons who have been renderded helpless with disease\". It catered for patients suffering from tuberculosis, cancer, chronic rheumatism and other incurable conditions. Paupers were excluded.
IMG002Medium.jpg


IMG006Medium.jpg



IMG007Small.jpg


IMG008Medium.jpg


In 1904 the Lanfine Home for tuberculosis sufferers was added. From 1960 the Lanfine Home was used for geriatric patients.
IMG009Small.jpg


IMG010Medium.jpg


IMG012Small.jpg


IMG011Small.jpg


Broomhill continued to cater for the young (under 65) chronic sick until it was closed along with Lanfine in 1995.
IMG013Small.jpg
 

Similar threads