real time web analytics
Report - - Browns Folly by Carbide - Wiltshire - March 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Browns Folly by Carbide - Wiltshire - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Browns Folly Stone Mine

History

Browns Folly Mine is an average sized Bath Stone quarry which was originally part of Monkton Farleigh Mine however when the War Department
converted part of the quarry in to an ammunitions store they separated part of the quarry which is the area now known as Browns Folly.

Browns Folly Mine is an SSSI (Special Site of Scientific Interest) because of its national importance for hibernating and roosting bats. Brown's Folly is a tower
situated near Bathford overlooking Bath. Beneath the folly in the nature reserve are the entrances to part of Brown's Folly Quarry. This stone mine is fairly big but not too
complicated. The southern section consists of several long main routes, the waste stone is stacked up along the sides of the passages. There are few roof falls in this
mine, probably due to good strong pillars at regular intervals.

The main adit into the quarry was blasted by the military probably to prevent access to the Monkton farleigh Ammunition depot connected to Browns Folly.

In the Southern section there exists some stables amongst other interesting features. Further into the hillside there is an area known as Clapham Junction, so called
because of the rails laid in the floor. This was the junction of several routes into the different headings of the mine. The existance of rails means that this was a relatively
recent and large mine.

The Explore

I think everything that has been said about Browns has already been said so I wont bother to restate any here, other than to say do your research about the place and
make sure you have a copy of the survey.

Nothing particularly interesting happened this trip, I wanted to try out the new load of carbide I'd acquired and a mate wanted to try out a new camera gizmo
he had so Browns was a nice easy choice. We spent about 5 hours in there and got round just about everything in the main mine. We did get waylaid by Brian for about
half an hour but finally managed to say our goodbyes and get back to business. The place was looking pretty good to be honest. Clapham is lovely again and the three
troughs which were quite badly vandalised have been repaired, cleaned up and the pink paint has almost been completely removed. After showing my mate a couple of cool
features I knew he hadn't seen before and adding a bit more to my mental survey of the place it was time to leave and head to the Quarrymans for a shandy.

Carbide is a fantastic light source to take photo's underground with but averaging 90 seconds an exposure it was a bit tedious. Anyway I think they came out
reasonably well .

The Pics

Clapham

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (2 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (4 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (8 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (10 of 47).jpg

Pit Prop Chamber

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (12 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (17 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (19 of 47).jpg

Square Well

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (20 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (21 of 47).jpg

Three Troughs

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (24 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (25 of 47).jpg

St. Pauls - Front Passage

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (28 of 47).jpg

Somewhere off Front Passage

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (31 of 47).jpg

Looking down Front Passage

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (32 of 47).jpg

Three Props

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (34 of 47).jpg

Entrance to Northern Section & Mine Cart

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (37 of 47).jpg

Looking back the other way

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (38 of 47).jpg

An old entrance

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (40 of 47).jpg

On the way out.

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (44 of 47).jpg

Browns Folly (Carbide) - Wilts - April 2019 (45 of 47).jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Last edited:

Pammyj

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
These really are awesome shots, I’m gonna just have to get over the fear and get on with mate eh!! And never watch the descent again ;)

tigger

mog
Regular User
Gorgeous lighting Oort. Longer exposures give so much more control over texture. There's also a softness to a flame driven lightthat works well on wood , stone and textured metal.
We are going to have to meet up for a day of underground photogrpahy sometime....maybe plate up some glass and have some half-plate fun with different periods of light sources

Who has read this thread (Total: 376) View details