real time web analytics
Report - - Brown's Folly Mine - Wiltshire - Aug '17 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brown's Folly Mine - Wiltshire - Aug '17

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Abandoned Explored

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I'm one of those who has been watching from the sidelines on this forum for many years, but I've recently got a little more time, it's been long overdue for my first report, sorry!

The history - Browns Folly Mine is a Bath Stone quarry which was originally part of Monkton Farleigh Mine however when the War Department converted part of the quarry into an ammunitions store they separated part of the quarry which is the area now known as Browns Folly. The main adit into the quarry was blasted by the military probably to prevent access to the Monkton Farleigh Ammunition Depot connected to Brown's Folly.

Closed in the 1930s, Browns Folly Mine is an SSSI (Special Site of Scientific Interest) because of its national importance for hibernating and roosting bats.

A photo of the original workers – not sure of the exact date.
1.jpg

This is a great photo – it shows the rail system you see in the mines and how it would have worked.
2.jpg

The explore

I’ve been down a couple of times over the last month, both times with a friend who is a non-member here.

We entered through Muddy Hole which was as tight as always but in good condition. We met another group of three who I think were from Shepton Mallet Caving Club, they seemed friendly and had the full survey that the club has completed.

This place always amazes me with its sheer size, you have to be so careful not to get lost down there. The site is in good shape, no significant change or damage that I could see since visiting several years before, although I’m sure some has been caused and then cleared up!

11.jpg

8.jpg

Near Clapham Junction
7.jpg

Magical glowing trough, in no way just lit by my torch.
6.jpg

The end of the line…
5.jpg

4.jpg

DSC07558.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

DSC07535.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, feedback welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
What happened to the water in the pit in photo 2. That's always been full when I've been....

Abandoned Explored

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
What happened to the water in the pit in photo 2. That's always been full when I've been....
Yup, I remember it a few years back when it was full too. If you remember the three troughs full of water that fed into each other then they are also now empty.

REEF

Getthegirlkillthebaddies
28DL Full Member
thanks for the info, I notice that some of the wooden props have fallen as well.