real time web analytics
Information - - Browns Folly Warning... | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Information - Browns Folly Warning...

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

admin

Administrator
Admin
Posted on behalf of concerned forum member... Looks like Brian has been up to his antics again...

Grateful if you could post a warning in an appropriate place about Browns. Please don't mention me because the guy is a fucking psycho

All,

Just a warning if you are planning a trip to Browns any time soon.

A group dug out the shit (yes really) in the MH entrance (and possibly made it substantially bigger). To their horror, they discovered that someone had destroyed the big cock sculpture in Clapham Junction and made it back into a boring flat field of rocks. So they made a much bigger one. In the morning, they found that the entrance had been completely blocked, taking about 25 minutes to dig themselves out.

A car parked in Farleigh Rise had a long key scratch down the side. Best not to park there.

Now, I'm not accusing any particular individual of anything, but it makes you wonder.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
I think if it keeps going on like that you could justify getting the police involved. If your honest mine explorers and a guy is deliberately blocking you in when theres only one escape point then its definitely criminal.

LaCigale

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It is not the first time it has happened. I had some French friends there last year, three friendly girls with beer, they said hi to a man who walked past them, he didn't acknowledge them and just kept walking. They ended up sleeping the night and then when they tried to leave they also found the entrance blocked up. It's just a little too fucked up for reason. Depending on how one would wall it, there is a good chance that the rocks would be wedged from the outside in such a way that they would not be able to be undone from the inside. Then you'd need a chisel to get out. So it is fucking dangerous. I want to know if he has a key to the other entrance... and if so, lets superglue it.

Mr Sam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Im sorry to say but rather a few people have a very negative view on 28DL and the attention it brings to such sites, there are of course many of us whom enjoy such places adhere to absolute basic PPE for such sites and take great shots and ahem leave nothing but a footprint.

Im sure local nut jobs like thus would accommodate such people and indeed do! The trouble is when it appears on here it opens it up to more and more whom just turn up with £ shop torches trainers not even a hard hat and bag full of cheap mucky larger remove items and leave litter

of course i am aware of the more non public caving and mine groups within the forum (of which I'm not included in) maybe its time even what some of us would consider lesser underground sites are kept within such private groups to help preserve them for genuine enthusiasts rather than in public view to the tourbex'ers

LaCigale

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
So where does pilling shit into an entrance come into this equation? Unless someone has a lot of shit on their shoes and uses the Muddy Hole entrance as a doormat then they themselves don't just leave footprints. Indeed they have changed the system more than anyone. We created a nice small dry stone table and benches in an out of the way corner of the system to we could eat our hot meal after exploring the system and before bed. If the people inside the cave were 'restoring' the cave to it's former figure and keeping it as a living museum then I could understand their argument. But they are not. They have created dry stone walls and rock beds across the entire network that would have never been there when it was in use. They use the network as they wish and take ownership of something that is not theirs. I don't see how people entering without hard hats is a safety issue compared to the fact they place people's safety in danger by blocking the entrance. They don't give a damn about anyone else because they perceive that anyone that is not them is a vandal or a litter bug. This space is not theirs to own and command. Others can be respectful and share the space and respect the efforts they have done. It seems they are incapable of doing the same.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
Its not 28DL suddenly showing up and causing a problem. Its the wider adoption of the internet over that last 15 years or so that has brought them more attention. Its not created a new problem tho. There were 'tourbex types', kids and what not going down the mines in the 70s, many of them are well known mine explorers today! Have you not seen photos fro Nick Mcamley and co back then? All parties and drinking beer!

The problem with browns is one nutjob who should really be locked up

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Im sorry to say but rather a few people have a very negative view on 28DL and the attention it brings to such sites, there are of course many of us whom enjoy such places adhere to absolute basic PPE for such sites and take great shots and ahem leave nothing but a footprint.

Im sure local nut jobs like thus would accommodate such people and indeed do! The trouble is when it appears on here it opens it up to more and more whom just turn up with £ shop torches trainers not even a hard hat and bag full of cheap mucky larger remove items and leave litter

of course i am aware of the more non public caving and mine groups within the forum (of which I'm not included in) maybe its time even what some of us would consider lesser underground sites are kept within such private groups to help preserve them for genuine enthusiasts rather than in public view to the tourbex'ers

Well thought out post and deserves a reply.

Generally, and I've seen it with my own eyes, the 'poundshop crew' are so badly kitted out they never get far, decide to re-equip, buy maps etc and do it properly. I've seen them, I've helped them. I've got no doubt, in my mind at least, that local kids / youths find their way about and cause a lot of the mess and crap. Yes we have parties, yes we make a mess, yes we tidy up, yes we take bags of trash out. Nowadays though, we're being antagonised and there's a 'screw you' attitude towards the resident moron. Mark my words... one day he'll make someone come a cropper, or he'll succumb to one himself.

trailboss99

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Oh now that's just plain scary! I think it's time the local constabulary were filled in on Brian's efforts before he kills someone either by accident or design. Sealing someone in a mine even one the size of Browns is criminal disregard for that person's safety at best, attempted murder at worst.

Palisade

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I don't understand what is going on in these people's heads. These were friends of mine who got sealed in and the thought of it is just scary.

These friends told me afterwards that the table and benches we had spend a couple of hours building on a previous trip had been destroyed, and I don't understand why - ??! We have never left any litter and I even take care not to drop any candlewax as I think that looks messy. Our building project was very minor and totally insignificant compared to the huge projects undertaken by these other people (surely it can't just be the one man?!). What they have done is awful. They have made such significant modifications to the Clapham Junction area that they have completely changed it's whole character. They are allowed to make changes and others aren't??

If anyone here knows these people personally (and I think they do) then is there any chance they could be made to see sense?

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
If anyone here knows these people personally (and I think they do) then is there any chance they could be made to see sense?

There is no reasoning whatsoever with these people, particularly Brian. Hopefully someone will give him a good hiding, or he'll have a heart attack.