real time web analytics
Report - - Browns Folly, Wiltshire, Oct 2012 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Browns Folly, Wiltshire, Oct 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Altair

Poking holes since '84
28DL Full Member
Browns Folly

So another Report on Browns, there can't be many of you that haven't seen this place but I thought it was about time I shared my take on the place. Visited with Oxygen Thief, Styru and Atomic as part of our little Tour de Whiltshire. Lovely relaxed explore while seeing the sites this place has to offer. Unfortunately the famous rubber duck had gone AWOL but we found another little friend instead...

History

Brown's Folly is a 39.9 hectare biological and geological Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) near the village of Bathford in Bath and North East Somerset, notified in 1974. Also known as Farleigh (or Farly) Down Stone Quarry, it is operated as a nature reserve by the Avon Wildlife Trust (AWT).
Brown's Folly is situated on steep west-facing slopes which overlook the River Avon. The calcareous soils have developed on Lower Lias clays, fuller's earth and oolitic limestone strata of Jurassic age. The local geology is of major importance in the context of the British Bathonian stratigraphy.

The underground workings themselves are of great speleological and historical interest. They are extremely well decorated and contain many delicate stalactites and examples of gull formation (caves features formed by land slippage). The quarry workings provided stone for the façade of Buckingham palace.

On with some pics

DSC_4126.jpg

DSC_4134.jpg

DSC_4139.jpg

DSC_4130.jpg

DSC_4141.jpg

DSC_4145.jpg

DSC_4149.jpg

DSC_4153.jpg

DSC_4162.jpg

DSC_4171.jpg

DSC_4174.jpg

DSC_4175.jpg

13 finally our new little friend to replace AWOL ducky!
DSC_4155.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details