Web
Analytics
Report - - Brunel Campus, Runnymede, Egham, February 2014 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk
  • Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections, plus Private & Local Groups and a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. However, creating an account allows you to search, post replies, start new threads, use bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems. Also, it removes some ads.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Brunel Campus, Runnymede, Egham, February 2014

sentinel

28DL Regular User
Regular User
#1
Hi All

A little exploration around this place uncovered some little surprises,
Another joint venture with The Raw and Juicerail

Demolition crew in now, and signs they have been for a while

History of the site:

1870 - 1906 : Royal Indian Engineering College
The estate was bought in 1870 for use as the Royal Indian Engineering College. The President of the College, Sir George Chesney, had seen the empty building while boating on the Thames. The property was converted under the direction of Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt who had worked with Sir Gilbert Scott on the India Office, Whitehall
1911 - 1938: The Cheylesmore Family
After the RIEC moved out the buildings remained empty for some years until, on 17 January 1911, the estate was sold to Baron and Baroness Cheylesmore for use as a family home. They lived here until 1925, when the (by then) Lord Cheylesmore was killed in a motor accident - the first peer to suffer such a fate in Britain. He is commemorated by a monument by Edwin Lutyens in the Embankment Gardens. The family was desolated by their loss and the great ballroom, which was being built for the coming of age of their heir, was left unfinished. Later this became Pillar Hall, and was occasionally used as a ballroom for college events
1938 - 1951: London County Council
The house passed back to institutional ownership in 1938, when the London County Council (LCC) bought the estate for use as an emergency HQ building in preparation for war. In 1939 administrative work was transferred from County Hall to the campus, in particular the Records, Comptrollers and Motor Licensing departments were housed there, together with some parts of Education Department including teachers salaries. The statue of Eros was removed from Piccadilly Circus and spent the war under wraps in what is still known as the Eros Room
1951 - 1980: Shoreditch College of Education
Shoreditch Technical College (STC) began at the turn of the century when in 1901 the LCC established a Teacher‑Training Department in Pitfield Street, Hoxton. By 1939 there were 150 students, but numbers rose rapidly to over 300 students following World War Two and the expansion of teacher training.
1980 - 2006: Brunel University
Following the directive of the Secretary of State for Education and Science concerning the reduction in teacher‑training generally, negotiations took place between the Greater London Council (GLC) and the Department of Education and Science (DES) about the future of the college which led to a proposal where the design and technology courses could he preserved by merging the college with Brunel University
2007 - 2010: Oracle Group
In May, 2007 the college site was sold by Brunel for £46.6m to Oracle Group who planned to develop the site for mixed-use containing residential, commercial, community and public-access aspects. These plans were controversial and were subject to a lengthy planning processes involving the local community. Before they could begin their re-development however, the Oracle Group went into liquidation in June 2010
2011 - Present Day: Orchid Runnymede
Most recently, the ownership of the campus appears to have passed to a new entity called 'Orchid Runnymede', and in late 2011a new planning application was submitted to Runnymede Borough Council for the re-development of the campus. A similar scheme to that proposed by the late Oracle Group, the proposed scheme is comprised of a mix of care facilities for the elderly, new private dwellings, affordable housing and student accommodation

DSC_0318_zpsac2cbdbd.jpg


DSC_0421_zps31902080.jpg


DSC_0348_zpsf8bd449c.jpg


DSC_0304_zps49e16adf.jpg


DSC_0306_zps61a7bf5e.jpg


DSC_0358_zps20dfa8ec.jpg


DSC_0374_zps626180f6.jpg


DSC_0396_zpsed73e571.jpg


DSC_0402_zps30c11a00.jpg


DSC_0436_zps7d79183c.jpg


Thanks for looking and as always and comments, constructive criticism is always appreciated
 

Similar threads