real time web analytics
Report - - Brunner Mond, Winnington - Feb' 16 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brunner Mond, Winnington - Feb' 16

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
Thought I'd sling up a quick report just to remind people how much else there is on offer here. Since Speed's report last year I've seen one other post covering the more recently closed areas courtesy of SammyDoubleWhammy, and I know other people have visited too, but recent reports have just been of the same bit everyone used to do before 75% of the rest of the works closed.​

Visited here with Dempsey as a backup potential turbo lead having driven a stupid distance at stupid AM and finding ourselves at a loose end at least four hours from home. There were people about including security but aside from a minor encounter involving a hasty dash round a corner very early on we didn't see anyone. I was dragging my feet initially, being geared up for some 3000rpm's and instead being faced with a moderately aesthetically pleasing row of rotary kilns, but progressing through the works it got steadily livelier. Eventually we found that one room from Sammy's shots that had spooled us up and immediately ran slap bang into a row of three turbines, then realised there was another row of three either side of that! Probing further into this very loud hall revealed that it had at least 13 turbo sets in situ configured as exhausters or compressors, with a further row of four having ben removed. Old school chemical works rank highly on my list of awesome things already but this was basically one of the coolest places I've ever seen - not quite on the scale of seriously heavy industry but with completely its own intricacies and recognisable machinery being used for unique purposes, put it this way, the solvay towers themselves (manufactured at Stanton iron works) were about 30m tall apiece! That's the size of the actual molten metal part of a blast furnace.

Enough waffle, some Superia 400:

_32_0075_zpsofbkutzu.jpg

_30_0077_zpsd5olvxfe.jpg

_29_0078_zpszod93lfh.jpg

_28_0079_zps1xthn9qs.jpg

Rotary kilns (as seen in cement works etc.)

_23_0084_zpsyyqbfeck.jpg

Scrubbers (as seen everywhere)

_25_0082_zpsuuhoaquu.jpg

Looking down the side of a Solvay tower from probably the 3rd level. (As seen nowhere in the UK outside of Winnington/Northwich)

_20_0087_zpshkyhddcv.jpg

_21_0086_zps12c9sblt.jpg

_24_0083_zpsfhvlvid1.jpg

__8_0099%20copy_zpsh8bco3oz.jpg

_19_0088%20copy_zpscaigeguf.jpg

Uuuhhhh ___/ ...

_15_0092%20copy_zpsy2aymrs1.jpg

_14_0093%20copy_zpskmy2ssci.jpg

__7_0100%20copy_zpsyqrckfv7.jpg

_12_0095%20copy_zpswduidpkn.jpg

_11_0096%20copy_zpseingcnez.jpg

__9_0098%20copy_zps5kv8fa5t.jpg

Older compressors that had been decommissioned a good time earlier. Behind these, hidden by a curtain of sheeting, there was another spooling up and down frequently like an asthmatic industrial lung. It would have been tragic if it hadn't been so loud.

__3_0104%20copy_zpsjhzfwezs.jpg

Ta for reading :)

Last edited:

Boba Low

SWC ___/
28DL Full Member
I hate to say it as much as anyone else would, but sometimes, just sometimes, @Speed is right :p

Last edited:

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Beautiful shots dude, really shows the place off. Film really suits it I think. You ever had a bigger turbine quota in one day?

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Easy now ghost rider.

I will forever turbine hunt with you as you also share that primal reaction to a room full of 1950's w.h Allen and Son Turbines. The reaction whereby I almost throw my camera at you in sheer happiness.

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
Some colours on show there. Bet you were throwing shapes round every corner.

Sometimes I almost want a camera or worker to witness what we get up to, its literally off the chain, all fucks go out of the window.

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
What made it all the more absurd is that the bit on the island that everyone goes to (called 'the snow factory' by the swill as I recall) was significantly harder and more secure than this side.