real time web analytics
Report - - Brushes Reservoir Bypass Culvert February 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brushes Reservoir Bypass Culvert February 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I’ve been in and out of a few small culverts now, but I think this is my first proper explore and certainly my first report. I’d seen the report by Jim and The Lone Ranger and taken the lack of information on the internet about Brushes reservoir to be something of a challenge. Plus, it seemed like an explore that was relatively unlikely to result in a gurgling death, which seemed a good place to start exploring culverts. So off I went with fourlegsgood to explore it.

I didn’t find out much more about the reservoir than either Jim or TLR, except a little background information. It seems the dearth of information may be to do with all the reservoirs in the area, which , “…receive the drainage from lands having an area of fifty square miles". There are many more prettier and interesting reservoirs (at least for the masses), which are still in use in the area. Perhaps as the second smallest reservoir in this series of four, holding a mere 52,165,000 gallons of water on its clay core, Brushes reservoir just wasn’t grand enough to steal any of the limelight. It does, however, feature briefly in a poem about the area,

"The Brushes with its rising ground
With reservoirs will soon abound ;
Its brooks and streams are good, I know,
But nowt like th' pump in Yorkshire Row.
"

It seems that prior to the construction of the reservoirs local people had little water to drink or bath in, relying heavily on wells and drain tubs (there was even mention of condensed water from the mills). There was a dry spell of historic importance during 1860 to 1870 before the construction of the reservoirs and, “…people felt the scarcity of water”. But even when the local's did get water from the reservoirs, according the the poem it was utterly shit compared to the stuff you could get from the pump at Yorkshire Row.

Also before the construction of the reservoirs in this area, “…the Tame was subject to sudden floods, which caused great damage to property on its banks…”. It seems that until the recent floods, the four reservoirs in the Brushes valley have done a reasonably good job to prevent that. There was some evidence of the Brushes bypass culvert having experienced recent use – small stones and silt being moved along the entrance to the culvert – but these didn’t extend into the closed part, so even with the horrendous flooding recently, the bypass wasn’t needed.

Anyway, that’s the additional information I have managed to find. On with the photos…

Brushes Reservoir

181566.jpg

You have to fight through a lot of bush to get in it

25cff9.jpg

Looking back out through the entrance

344476.jpg

The pipes of interest and fourlegs

41bfe8.jpg

It's not the gradient of the land that's pretty, or the river, it's the culvert.

5668cc.jpg

Demonic Culvert

6ad630.jpg

Exit portal, which seems to have a few more stones knocking about since TLR's explore.

714fce.jpg

We did go up the embankment at the end, but it would have been much easier to retreat back through the culvert.

Hope the additional information and the couple of photos that are slightly different are of interest.

Thanks for reading

Cheers,

EOA

Punk

Punkus Explorus
28DL Full Member
Nicely done :thumb
You've got some good snaps, the multicoloured shot is very nice :thumb

Reactions: EOA

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cheers! I wasn't quite sure what to put in a report, so thanks for the feedback or the report and photos :) There wasn't much to say about this culvert that hadn't already been said.

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Cracking first report!

Some decent pics and as long as your'e keen to explore these places you will fit in well here :thumb

If you fancy a local mooch get in touch, myself and @The Lone Ranger have been known to nip out here and there ;)

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
Cheers for the feedback on my first report - glad it's along the right lines!

I have heard rumours of a guy called @Ojay and The Lone Ranger exploring around here, drinking safety brews as they go ;) - if you're both out on a wander and I can tag along that would be very cool, cheers :thumb

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
I reckon Ojay has probably been doing this long enough to open the lid of a safety brew himself.

And, they're normally located on top of the can ;)

EOA

Exploring with Bob
28DL Full Member
How the f did you do that multi coloured fandango? Share the secret please ;)

No problem - my skillz have moved on since then anyway ;)

It's the same as any other light painting you do in a tunnel / darkness. Where the light hits a surface your camera records it. If you use something colourful to cover the light source (like gels) then you can paint in colour. The more colours you use, the more like a rainbow the tunnel becomes. To do this I used a Yongnuo LED light wand, which changes colours as you change the dial (but it's a bit temperamental). Set the exposure to 30 seconds or so and walk down the tunnel changing the colours as you go. Edit the RAW file, bit of croppage and jobs a good one. :thumb

You can use a flash or torch with gels too - possibly a good idea to use a snoot too :thumb