real time web analytics
Report - - Brushes Reservoir Overflow - Stalybridge - January 2016 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Brushes Reservoir Overflow - Stalybridge - January 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Lone Ranger

Safety is paramount!
Staff member
Brushes Reservoir Overflow - Stalybridge

1_zpsht3rwsac.jpg

History

First explored buy @Jim Up North in September 2015, had been up this valley a fair few times myself, but somehow missed this! The rock climbing up here is shit, but there still is an unclimbed waterfall if it ever freezes again. I digress, Jim said there was no on-line history on Brushes Reservoir, being only 8 odd miles from the centre of Manchester I have to admit I was sceptical at this statement. Sorry Jim, there does appear to be no information apart from the odd walk, bird sighting or people catching fish!

What I know is the area consists of 4 reservoirs, the lower 2 Walkerwood and Brushes Reservoir are often just referred to as Brushes and nestle in the lower part of the valley amongst the tress. Above this you have Lower and Upper Swinesshaw Reservoirs, these are no longer in service from what I can make out, but are still topped up from an underground overflow from the neighbouring Chew Reservoir in the next valley.

All the 4 reservoirs are up a side valley which feeds the River Tame, the whole area is a part of Stalybridge Country Park.

My Visit

2_zpszuefmuff.jpg

Weather was poor and had fancied popping my head in here since it surfaced.

3_zpskpgj9gyk.jpg

Not too long, probably around 600 meters long and 3 meters in diameter.

4_zpstmdbj0zt.jpg

Not a bad place to hide from the rain and play with light painting, long exposure shots and generally chill.

10_zpsubfiqzmm.jpg

Long enough that you can place torches out of view at the bends. Similar photos though.

11_zpsfmd2vjgl.jpg

The twin pipes give the something new to look at.

8_zpsvuvffwzh.jpg

You can look back at them too.

5_zpsaqhg2v2f.jpg

I did enjoy this overflow and is a great place to play around with thee the camera settings and lighting.

12_zpsi9am1i7v.jpg

A few more pics as I headed to the top end.

6_zpsrxsjrhgn.jpg

View attachment 668633

Nearly there.

7_zpssd8almro.jpg

And a final one looking back down the overflow.

9_zpsi2p4aqg3.jpg

I enjoyed this overflow, nothing too taxing which allowed you to play around with various settings and use of lighting. Well worth a visit if local.

Cheers,

TLR.​