real time web analytics
Question - - BT Telegraph Manhole Covers. | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - BT Telegraph Manhole Covers.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi all, just wanted to ask a quick question. I walk over a BT Telegraph man hole cover daily and I'm dying to know if its worth the time and effort to lift the lid and take a look inside. Its partially covered with tarmac so will be a challenge to say the least plus its next to a fairly busy road. I have had a go at google but cant find any internal shots. I have no illusions of anything spectacular but do they connect some kind of service tunnel? Thanks in advance.

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It has 2 sections and is 2m x 1m roughly. In two sections with cast iron bands and cement infill. As you say probably just an inspection pit but curiosity is urging me to find out lol!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Small cable chambers, not usually all that big, some have small conduit subways typically 4ft that can sometimes go a reasonable distance but eventually fire walled.

moopudped

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Many thanks for the info. Next logical step is to have a gander! Disappointment anticipated lol

Exxperious

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not worth lifting them tbh, doubt you'll find anything other than the standard cable bunches. I work for them and its safe to say they are pretty boring

sloth

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Not worth lifting them tbh, doubt you'll find anything other than the standard cable bunches. I work for them and its safe to say they are pretty boring

I work for them too, here's a quick guide.

Concrete lid with GPO/BT/Telecom labelling is a footway joint box, inside it will be somewhere between 30cm and 2m deep with 4 inch ducts running in and out and a whole load of cable. Nothing terribly exciting and can be dangerous as they have a habit of filling with gas which can be ignited by a particularly enthusiastic lid lifter causing the metal parts to spark.

A rectangular iron lid in two triangular parts will probably be a carriageway joint box. Same as the above but very heavy iron lid for installation in carriageways.

A square iron lid with a cross shape is likely to be a manhole. Inside you can expect a ladder leading down into a chamber around 3-4 metres wide and long. Tall enough to stand in. This is essentially just a large joint box and could be a few metres underground. usually have a foot or two of water in the bottom and cable son the walls. Very very occasionally they will also have access to building basements and other underground structures (use your imagination).

Last edited:

gas man

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I work for them too, here's a quick guide.

Concrete lid with GPO/BT/Telecom labelling is a footway joint box, inside it will be somewhere between 30cm and 2m deep with 4 inch ducts running in and out and a whole load of cable. Nothing terribly exciting and can be dangerous as they have a habit of filling with gas which can be ignited by a particularly enthusiastic lid lifter causing the metal parts to spark.

A rectangular iron lid in two triangular parts will probably be a carriageway joint box. Same as the above but very heavy iron lid for installation in carriageways.

A square iron lid with a cross shape is likely to be a manhole. Inside you can expect a ladder leading down into a chamber around 3-4 metres wide and long. Tall enough to stand in. This is essentially just a large joint box and could be a few metres underground. usually have a foot or two of water in the bottom and cable son the walls. Very very occasionally they will also have access to building basements and other underground structures (use your imagination).
My Dad worked for them as a jointer for years,one of the other lads on his patch blew himself up twice with gas ,had some pretty nasty burns TBH, BT were not impressed he did it a second time my dad said