real time web analytics
Report - - Burmah Castrol, Stanlow - October 2017 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Burmah Castrol, Stanlow - October 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with @Humpa

One from over a year ago, for some reason I'd never gotten around to editing my photos from here but I rediscovered them the other week. It was an enjoyable visit and I think we covered most of the place, plenty of stuff to see and not very trashed considering the length of time it seems to have been derelict. I guess that it's location within the enormous Stanlow Oil Refinery helped a lot to deter unwanted visitors.

Information online about this particular facility appears to be quite limited, it'd be interesting to know when it actually shut etc, seems to be quite some years ago considering the age of the equipment inside. Here's a bit of a brief time line of the company though:
1967 The name Burmah-Castrol was introduced for industrial products of the Burmah Oil Co
1987 Acquired Simoniz
1990 Burmah Oil Co was renamed Burmah-Castrol
1991 Acquired Foseco Minsep
1992 Sold off most of the building products group acquired from Foseco except Celmac
1997 Sold its car care division, Simoniz of Newquay, to Holt Lloyd
2000 Burmah-Castrol was acquired by BP Amoco.

A few photos from the office block roof showing the surrounding refinery
01.jpg

02.jpg

A nice big Burmah sign, sadly too big to walk out of the place
03.jpg

Canteen Building
04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Laboratory/Library Building
07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Plant Building
17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

Main Office Building (I hope you like photos of wires!)
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Camera Shy

Old enough to know better
Regular User
Nice photos, was a good wander this one. Was funny how it went to the point of police dogs and helicopter response within a few weeks.

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice photos, was a good wander this one. Was funny how it went to the point of police dogs and helicopter response within a few weeks.

Yeah I'd heard about that, I presume that people weren't being very clever about things?

raisinwing

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Silly question maybe but did people drive to it or just walk in?

We parked about a mile or so away on the industrial estate and then walked in through the woods etc. I imagine some weren't very discrete, probably not wise to walk along the access roads that take you next to live parts.

albino-jay

g00n Buster
Staff member
Nice one fella. Really enjoyed it here. Good levels of decay plenty to see, really relaxed. That incinerator is so bloody cool!

What @Ojay said about people driving upto the main gate fannying about.

Good while it lasted.

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
That was my thoughts too. This one pissed me off a bit as i had my eye on it for ages and had just never quite hooked it up. Then it found it's way online and was burnt within a week or two. Wish I'd have known how good it was from day one, would have made more of an effort.

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Arguably, this should have been put in NP for a while, like a certain factory not far away - but I didn't know there was such a thing as NP when I did it.

Who has read this thread (Total: 219) View details