real time web analytics
Report - - Butter Hill GPSS Oil Storage, Chester - October 2011 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Butter Hill GPSS Oil Storage, Chester - October 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

sim2lew

Likes a good derp
28DL Full Member
Visited with Xan

THE STORY
It was a spur of the moment decision to visit this site. I had been given hardly any warning, but in the end it paid off very well. The site is a sequal to Carlett Park Oil in Eastham, and had very much the same feel to it.

THE HISTORY
If you aren't familiar with the term GPSS then I suggest you view my other report first, so that we're all on the same page.

The site is very much hidden underground, the only indication that anything was there until recently would be seeing the massive round mounds of earth in a field; however, the government have recently allowed such information to appear on maps. The site formed part of the pipeline between Stanlow Oil Refinery and sites in Humberside, according to Secret Bases (thanks to Xan for that link). The last site visit reported on 28DL was four years ago, and since then a group of travellers has used the site as a home. Some of the shallow pits smelt a bit fresh (thanks to the nice local who told us about the travellers).

Security was a bit lax, they were all just eating and crapping everywhere!

THE PICTURES

First, we trolled a bridge and the local fishers.
[1]
DSCF4984.jpg

[2 - One of the best days of the year for this!]
DSCF4992.jpg

[3]
DSCF4998.jpg

Then we decided to take a look into the actual site after the preliminary scouting.
[4 - Controls]
DSCF5004.jpg

[5 - Rubble and Rubbish]
DSCF5013.jpg

[6 - Sealed]
DSCF5016.jpg

[7 - Pikey'd]
DSCF5019.jpg

[8 - Security]
DSCF5026.jpg

[9 - The Hole]
DSCF5030.jpg

[10]
DSCF5032.jpg

[11]
DSCF5043.jpg

[12]
DSCF5042.jpg

And now the pictures of an actual tank. My original estimate of 30'x30' was way off (edit: especially as the tanks are circular), as you can see:
[13]
DSCF5036.jpg

[14]
DSCF5039.jpg

[15]
DSCF5040.jpg

[16]
DSCF5041.jpg

[17]
DSCF5044.jpg

+1 to Xan for lending me his lenser, and thanks for viewing.

Last edited: