real time web analytics
Report - - Buxton Traction Maintenance Depot (TMD) - February 2016 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Buxton Traction Maintenance Depot (TMD) - February 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Explore
Nice early morning start for this one, tried this over a year ago and was sealed well but thought seen as we were in the area we'd have another look and this time we had a little more luck.. only small but a nice little explore.

The History
Buxton traction maintenance depot was once home to 20 or 30 Engines at any one time, it closed in the 90's after the introduction of Multiple units and the drop in freight traffic made in obsolete, Buxton TMD has been left to decay for quite some time, but now has once again been rumored to reopen with the increases in heavy rail traffic in the greater Manchester and Derbyshire areas.

25148973596_e97654fd27_b.jpg

25175310785_e299f47d3d_b.jpg

24548461983_0fd551d93b_b.jpg

25148965246_c1948fb25c_b.jpg

24544607134_bc62d7395c_b.jpg

24544609954_a105b2680c_b.jpg

25175303835_bc55c44d09_b.jpg

24879661550_cd14a81975_b.jpg

Dieselkid 63

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
As with a lot though it used to be so much better. The workshops had fork-lifts with battery packs in the chargers, there was a lovely little workshop out back with some lathes that just got absolutely trashed beyond recognition, the offices were filled with reems of paperwork relating to trains but someone pulled it all out onto the floor then poured a barrel of scrap oil out. It's sad to see it in such a state. Rumours come and go about re-opening, but realistically the logistics of doing it are impossible due to the fact the site has no road access (this was a key reason for its closure and the installment of the fuelling station at Peak Forest). The track would need complete re-laying and the connection to the main line is severed. Interestingly however, the signalling is still live! Some of the ground signals still light up at night which is a pleasant little surprise, so I assume the SB must be wired up with a track plan of the site. Did you venture over to the old Peak Rail site behind Aldi with the length of platform and the old water crane?

BrainL

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No, didn't go over there sadly, didn't actually know there was an abandoned site over that way.

The workshop at the back is destroyed now, not even worth taking any shots in there really, just things thrown all around the room :(

Dempsey

The Human Turbine.
28DL Full Member
As with a lot though it used to be so much better. The workshops had fork-lifts with battery packs in the chargers, there was a lovely little workshop out back with some lathes that just got absolutely trashed beyond recognition, the offices were filled with reems of paperwork relating to trains but someone pulled it all out onto the floor then poured a barrel of scrap oil out. It's sad to see it in such a state. Rumours come and go about re-opening, but realistically the logistics of doing it are impossible due to the fact the site has no road access (this was a key reason for its closure and the installment of the fuelling station at Peak Forest). The track would need complete re-laying and the connection to the main line is severed. Interestingly however, the signalling is still live! Some of the ground signals still light up at night which is a pleasant little surprise, so I assume the SB must be wired up with a track plan of the site. Did you venture over to the old Peak Rail site behind Aldi with the length of platform and the old water crane?

Any photos of it in that state mate?

Dieselkid 63

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Any photos of it in that state mate?
Sadly not - it was pre-camera phone days and we'd just pop in after school. Must have been 2004, so fairly recent for closure. There also used to be really old-school graffiti down the side, but I think it's all flaked off now. I passed by in July but it was sealed - I live in NZ now.

I remember the fuel tank sheds were pretty intact, doors still on hinges and windows unbroken. A Hungarian immigrant called Laszlo lived in the one closest to the shed, he was a former soldier and came to the UK illegally, with dreams of reaching the fabled city of Nottingham (don't ask lol). We used to buy him biscuits from Somerfields sometimes!