real time web analytics
Report - - Bwlch Glas Lead mine, Wales June 2013 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bwlch Glas Lead mine, Wales June 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A bit of an impromptu visit with Landsker, This Lovely Little Mine is really quite out of the way a bit but we knew that there were two man way cages here and we could see them if we could just brave the ladder down to the lower levels.
It was only a small mine for us thanks to having no SRT skills and not getting to see the man way cages so not many images.

A little History about the mine

Lead Mining started at Bwlch Glas started during the 1880's when a level was excavated to intercept two parallel veins of ore, which outcropped further up the hill. Serious production at the mine didn't start until 1909, when an impressive processing mill was constructed and other levels opened. The Scottish Cardigan Lead Mining Company Ltd. finally closed the mine in 1923, having worked there on a fairly intermittent basis for a number of years.

These are what is left of the impressive processing mill, today it looks more like Colditz or something equally forlorn, this place really was out of the way.
In front of the Mill is the first adit that was flooded and collapsed so we had to look further up the hillside.
dressingfloorsresized.gif

And we eventually found what we were looking for.
View attachment 546038

An old tunnel with Wooden sleepers still in place
View attachment 546040

And the first section of Ladder that we needed to descend in order to see the two cage manway the ladders for the lower sections below these are rotted away...did we do it?
View attachment 546041

View attachment 546042

NO WAY it was a bit too far gone and without rigging it was too dangerous so we dipped out.

Here is a link to Urbanitys report here on 28 and what we missed out on.
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h347/urbanity1/10-1.jpg

A wooden supported stope on the ladder level
View attachment 546044

Landsker, Thinking about taking a dip, actually the sides of this floor were sheer so if you did fall in you would struggle to get out
View attachment 546045

At the end of the left hand tunnel was a wormhole up to a chamber above, Lansker went up there whilst I stayed put and ate a packet of cheese and onion crisps.
View attachment 546047

View attachment 546049

Thanks for looking