real time web analytics
Report - - Byker Culvert, Newcastle upon Tyne - 2017. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Byker Culvert, Newcastle upon Tyne - 2017.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
"Byker"

It's been a while since I stuck anything drain related up..

Some time ago myself and @siologen ended up in the North East looking at stuff, we ended up killing a bit of time in here and actually found it fairly interesting for such a small culvert

The majority of the 'Drain' is dry as the tunnel is disected, with the Ouseburn running below via a sizeable concrete box, with a trunk sewer occupying either side, the upper section once served as an Air raid shelter

The thing is, you'd never know this looking at previous reports as nobody had bothered to actually don some gum boots and explore the place properly, so Siologen and my good self set about putting that straight
Work began in 1906 to construct a section of culvert to carry the Ouseburn underneath the suburb of Heaton. A total length of 2150 ft and built at a cost of £23,000

It's impressive 9m wide 6m high elliptical steel re-inforced tunnel was/is home to the Ouseburn, the upper section utilised as WW2 shelter which could seat up to 3000 people

Today it still carries the local trunk sewer alongside the Ouseburn

Byker_Construct.jpg

For many years people claimed the Biker culvert re-emerged under Byker Bridge when infact it's actually the Ouseburn viaduct (I'm a stickler for detail)

The low Arch which serves the outfall is actually the James & Co Bridge built to their lead Works in 1801

The remains of the shelter, hence the lack of water, the puddle being the most people actually get to a drain here :p

DSC_7579.jpg

The elliptical ferro-concrete conduit remains intact throughout

DSC_7575.jpg

DSC_7567 a.jpg

The place has been fairly graffed up over the years, with disabled access allowing every man and his dog to wander about in here

DSC_7555.jpg

DSC_7565.jpg

Including a rave back in March 2017, how irresponsible :brew

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...partygoers-attended-illegal-raveafter-wading/

A good way in, an opening in the split level conduit allows a quick glimpse of the Ouseburn below

DSC_7557.jpg

I've never understood why nobody bothers to bash upstream below here, so maybe we should bother

DSC_7585.jpg

Here, a sewer thrown in for good measure

I did take a pic from below as Siologen looked on, but for some reason I can't find it so this will have to do for now..

DSC_7559.jpg

The end is a shaft beyond the graff to a split lid in the woods on the boundary of Heaton Park ;)

DSC_7553.jpg

And finally the outfall section of the Culvert below the railway viaduct

DSC_7592.jpg

Davey Ste

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey. I wanted to ask if this is safe to go in? Like, are there any risks of it getting flooded or such? I went in the other day but we ran out as out breathing begain to toughen and the air felt thing.

Polominto73

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good stuff mate yet again . Spotted ideal job for you on Scottish water site it was for underground and sub terreanial inspection engineer . Win win you get to do what you love& get paid for it .