real time web analytics
Report - - Cae'r Defaid slate mine May 2019 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cae'r Defaid slate mine May 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
It's not long since the last post about this place (by @monk ) but its where I happened to be today so here are a few more photos.
It seems to be a little documented site (though I've never actually looked for it when trawling records in the archives). It warrants a paragraph in Richards' Gazeteer.
Worked from two adits which don't connect. The lower adit is flooded to chest height and without a JCB it's going to stay that way. It is supposed to have produced the better slate.
The upper adit is has some water but rarely to welly depth. Chambers open to the left and right and in some cases these are stoped to bank resulting in some fenced openings above. The stone looks generally to be poor quality and there are very heavy iron intrusions. Also visible are copper and manganese intrusions. Some very nice stal curtains as well as iron-laden stals in abundance. A chain in one chamber has some very nice iron shells.

Whole surface view with both adits, shafts and original access track
cd0003.jpg

Lower level adit
cd0008.jpg

cd0004.jpg

cd0009.jpg

cd0010.jpg

cd0011.jpg

cd0012.jpg

cd0013.jpg

cd0014.jpg

cd0015.jpg

Iron shells - Wrong lens so cropped a fair bit
cd0016.jpg

cd0017.jpg

cd0018.jpg

Few rails but some chairs remain
cd0019.jpg

Not all deads were run out to tip
cd0020.jpg

cd0021.jpg

cd0022.jpg

cd0023.jpg

cd0025.jpg

cd0026.jpg

cd0027.jpg

cd0005.jpg

cd0006.jpg

cd0007.jpg

Praada

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
epic photos man, haven't been to this one, love the welsh slate mines, you've captured the colours brilliantly!

tigger

mog
Regular User
Thanks chaps. Last minute decision to revisit. Stals are bigger but otherwise it's not changed much in the last 35 years